Anyone near R.Rother, Trotton, West Sussex

Guest sslatter

I'm not there anymore, but I used to be based near Pulborough, and saw the lower reaches of the Western Rother often enough to say that I never saw it "grey and lifeless". The very lower reaches could get a bit muddy-looking, especially on a big tide (clay silt from the Arun) but it normally looked low and clear, with abundant weed growth and wildlife, straight out of a Mr. Crabtree story.

[it joins the Arun below Stopham bridge, which is a couple of miles upstream from Pulborough, and the junction was known locally as "sea trout central". The biggest sea trout I've ever seen before or since run up the Arun to go up the Western Rother to spawn.

DG-Did you see any sea trout during your foray on the lower reaches of the Arun?]

[ 01. June 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

(the Rother)... joins the Arun below Stopham bridge, which is a couple of miles upstream from Pulborough, and the junction was known locally as "sea trout central". The biggest sea trout I've ever seen before or since run up the Arun to go up the Western Rother to spawn.

DG-Did you see any sea trout during your foray on the lower reaches of the Arun?]

Graham

Nope, sadly I didn't. They were on my mind of course, but I arrived quite a bit later than I'd planned and the sun was well-up, despite rain-clouds over the South Downs themselves.

Still no promised word from the EA :mad:

DG

Crikey, Seatrout..Rother...Arun...that brings back some really GOOD memories.

You are spot on Graham, straight out of Mr Crabtree.

Has it changed much since 1960?

I had them up to 8lb (spent fish should have been 14!!) with quite a lot of 6lbs+

Happy happy days

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

Crikey, Seatrout..Rother...Arun...that brings back some really GOOD memories.

Happy happy days

Den

... of the last Millennium :D

DG

P.S. Still no news from the EA ..so I'll phone them in a while

[ 02. June 2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi DG,

Had a look over the parapet of Shopham Bridge this afternoon. The river looks in beautiful condition----good flow----nice colour and lots of weed of all-sorts growing well.No-one spoken to seems to have spotted the bad colour that you took aboard at the week-end----could it have been the consequences of an active cow-drink? Anyway:thanks for taking the time to let the locals know----it has woken a few slumbering souls...

Hi DG,

Had a look over the parapet of Shopham Bridge this afternoon. The river looks in beautiful condition----good flow----nice colour and lots of weed of all-sorts growing well.No-one spoken to seems to have spotted the bad colour that you took aboard at the week-end----could it have been the consequences of an active cow-drink? Anyway:thanks for taking the time to let the locals know----it has woken a few slumbering souls...

quote:

Originally posted by Cyranne 12:

Hi DG,

Had a look over the parapet of Shopham Bridge this afternoon. The river looks in beautiful condition----good flow----nice colour and lots of weed of all-sorts growing well.

That's good news!

quote:

No-one spoken to seems to have spotted the bad colour that you took aboard at the week-end----could it have been the consequences of an active cow-drink?

Now that's a possibility that hadn't occurred to me. Maybe you can spot the cows responsible .....

_________ Posted Image

quote:

Anyway:thanks for taking the time to let the locals know----it has woken a few slumbering souls...

Well, I certainly wasn't dreaming ... my passenger said " Errr ..look at that! ..You wouldn't want to fish that ... ", which is what made me slow-down even more on the hump-backed bridge at Trotton and have a quick glimpse.

All's well that ends well, then

DG

[ 04. June 2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi DG

Didn't realise that you travelled by helicopter ! ! I can't say that I can even pick up the A272 on your picture.Explains why you didn't get booted up the back by other vehicles while you slowed between the traffic lights.The slumbering souls in my reference where some fellow Club members---no offence intended,either to you nor the inhabitants of Midhurst.We are a very happy Club,and "very" laid back