snow water

barney66

Hi

Quite agree

1 the water is about as cold as it gets

2 anywere near a built up area and it will be full of salt.

Might have to start work on one of my classic cars this weekend

regards

John

Ive got no problem fishing in flood conditions.Often as it forces fish into certain areas it can make location a lot easier...........but as the others have said snow melt in general stuffs the fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I read somewhere that the snow becomes (or is?) deoxygenated, and therefore when it melts, tons of deoxygenated water enters the rivers systems, which together with all the accumulated road filth and salt spells the kiss of death for fishing.

Geoff

Didnt know that,I had always assumed it was a combination of the rapid lowering of water temperature and also the resulting extra (concentrated due to the snow accumalating over a period then suddenly thawing) road run off of salt etc?

Colder water normally holds more oxygen than warm/hot but as you say it might be a result of he water comming from snow.Be interesting to know for sure.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I read somewhere that the snow becomes (or is?) deoxygenated, and therefore when it melts, tons of deoxygenated water enters the rivers systems, which together with all the accumulated road filth and salt spells the kiss of death for fishing.

Yes, that was my understanding too. Whatever the reason, I agree that it's best to let it settle a bit after weather like this. However, there's always a chance!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just thinking out loud (well out in type, but you know what I mean)...

A standing bowl of water indoors, left to sit still, will loose it's dissolved oxygen content over time...agreed? It's why we need to pump water round the aquarium, or in the old days re-oxygenate the goldfish bowl water weekly. Well, snow sits on the ground not being moved, does it de-oxygenate in the same way perhaps?

Edit: Hmmm, second thought..why doesn't the process of running into the waterways re-oxygenate it..is it then to do with the salt content?

Edited by Angly

Geoff

Would anyone like to estimate how long it takes for rivers to recover from melting snow? I am visiting a relative very close to the Dorset Stour next Monday (a week today), and was hoping to combine it with a few hours fishing. But I have an awful feeling there will be melting snow going in all this week, and it may just be a disaster!

john clarke

Would anyone like to estimate how long it takes for rivers to recover from melting snow? I am visiting a relative very close to the Dorset Stour next Monday (a week today), and was hoping to combine it with a few hours fishing. But I have an awful feeling there will be melting snow going in all this week, and it may just be a disaster!

My advice would be go anyway. I cant pick and choose my fishing time. Just go when you can!

You never know what might be lurking!