Barton Court 7th Feb

Rusty

I'm not wimping out you understand but I'm conscious that others will have a lot further to travel than I will for this Saturday's fish-in. The weather's not going to change much this week and if it completely scuppers our chances of catching anything it's going to be a long day.

I'm stupid enough to give it a try but if others going are having second thoughts let me know asap and I'll contact the fishery.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the problem with organising a fish-in - I'm keeping a very close eye on the weather for the zander fish-in! I have to say though, that all the fish-ins I've been to in bad weather have still been a good day out.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Fish particularly Grayling still bite in the cold right? I went all the way to the Stour yesterday, not the best conditions but with some help from a friend managed a PB Chub of 4lbs 6ozs, so as long as the Kennet is not flooded it will fish.

Anyway I'm still likely to blank on my local if I dont go to Barton court, so whats the difference! Bring on the Grayling!

Simon

Fish particularly Grayling still bite in the cold right? I went all the way to the Stour yesterday, not the best conditions but with some help from a friend managed a PB Chub of 4lbs 6ozs, so as long as the Kennet is not flooded it will fish.

Anyway I'm still likely to blank on my local if I dont go to Barton court, so whats the difference! Bring on the Grayling!

Simon

That's the spirit, see you there.

RustyWimp

Don't like putting a stick in the spokes but if it's freezing hard and the water starts freezing up on the rings then your pretty much goosed, for trotting in particular. It happened to us in the cold spell over the festive period and we travelled quite a long way for pretty much a dismal days fishing due to the sub zero temps. We did catch Grayling and Trout and if not for the icing of the rings we would most likley have done pretty well. Fingers crossed for you the temps stay above freezin.

If its really that bad one can still use a feeder, and there is a lake people can fish also. But saying that I have just looked at the weather and they reckon its gonna be near freezing all day and minus 7 at night!

I'm still mad enough to try it, you wont catch in front of the telly and I've got to catch a Grayling this season, its on my list of things to do!

PS, I'm off to the chemist tomorrow to buy a bottle of glycerine apparently stops your rings freezing and we dont want any frozen rings now do we? :o

Also apparently wd40 does the trick too, but you need to apply the night before and leave to dry. Vaseline is also supposed to work, but I imagine this could be sticky?

If anyone wants to borrow some glycerine I will try and get sme tomorrow, but they will have to apply to their own rings as that is beyond the call of duty!

Edited by Simon Fell

tesco's sell's glycerine in little bottles ,i'll be getting a few in.although metcheck says saturday will be ok ,its not the weather as such that bothers me (i've been fool hardy before ,and will be again) as when fishing i'll hardly notice the cold (once my fingers and toes are numb) ,its the travelling conditions and weather it'll be safe no only going but comming home afterwards and i'll be concluding the deaL over My AN pin .but if andy can't make it ,i might regretfully cry off .as its a rather long journey too make in traitorous conditions overnight just too fish ,that said i'd rather fish in snow than rain anyday.

if the weather clears enough to travel down safely then i'd be there no matter ,but if its bad to rough ,& so long as its not suicidal weather and andy is still going then i'll be there.

i'll get some kindling and bring my kelly kettle and some cup-a-soups and rolls ( chicken ,tomatoe , ? ) etc and tea making stuff

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

tesco's sell's glycerine in little bottles ,i'll be getting a few in.although metcheck says saturday will be ok ,its not the weather as such that bothers me (i've been fool hardy before ,and will be again) as when fishing i'll hardly notice the cold (once my fingers and toes are numb) ,its the travelling conditions and weather it'll be safe no only going but comming home afterwards and i'll be concluding the deaL over My AN pin .but if andy can't make it ,i might regretfully cry off .as its a rather long journey too make in traitorous conditions overnight just too fish ,that said i'd rather fish in snow than rain anyday.

if the weather clears enough to travel down safely then i'd be there no matter ,but if its bad to rough ,& so long as its not suicidal weather and andy is still going then i'll be there.

i'll get some kindling and bring my kelly kettle and some cup-a-soups and rolls ( chicken ,tomatoe , ? ) etc and tea making stuff

Last time I was there I got freezing rings, I kept dipping the rod in the water - coz it's a chalk stream fed by spring water it's a constant 10 degrees, or as near as dammit.

The grayling shouldn't be too fussed and although we are supposed to avoid the trout, they are fairly difficult to avoid and a lot of them are triploids so don't get full of eggs or milt and therefore stay active. As a result they go like the clappers.

Minus 7 sounds bloody cold though.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Last time I was there I got freezing rings, I kept dipping the rod in the water - coz it's a chalk stream fed by spring water it's a constant 10 degrees, or as near as dammit.

Really? Did that keep the rings free of ice? As a last resort I might just jump in the water and stay warm.