Barton Court 7th Feb

Rusty

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your worried about the cold do as do and put a thicker jumper on ,over your t-shirt

Drove down the M4 today, there was a hell of a lot of snow still on the fields around Newbury and up to Swindon - if that lot melts over the next couple of days you may find a lot more very cold water in the river than you'd bargained for!

Mat

Mat

Really? Did that keep the rings free of ice? As a last resort I might just jump in the water and stay warm.

Not ice free, but it does get rid of it for a while. Easiest way to clear it quickly. Don't jump in though, wading not allowed!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Ok guys, as you might have guessed the weather in this area is poor. Driving is difficult and if we get an overnight freeze followed by more snow it'll just get worse. You can get to BC by mainly A roads (A34/A4) but even the A34 is suffering.

I've left a message with the fishery that it's difficult to be sure who'll be able to get there and I'm waiting for a call back. Provided the estate isn't looking like a flood plain I'd still like to go but it will depend on how the roads are and I might have to wait until Saturday morning to decide, that'll rule out an early start for me.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Good plan rusty, Its still looks like we might have some more snow on the way, and with the councils running out of salt, it could get interesting! As you say as long as the river is fishable and the snow is not really thick and pushed the levels up when it melts I'm willing to attempt to fish, but on the other hand dont want to drive 2 hrs unless its worth it.

Its supposed to be sunny and 3c on saturday according to the latest weather forcast but this is changing every day!

Simon

well its a overnight drive for me . (well 4.30-5am start ) around 2-3 hours or maybe longer journey times because of conditions and with the risk of a overnight frost and black ice etc to deal with and uncertain conditions on arrival ,but i've if things improve enough i'll still try too get . as its mostley moterways and bypasses most of the way so should get gritted .but my final decition will be tomorrow evening.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

well its a overnight drive for me . (well 4.30-5am start ) around 2-3 hours or maybe longer journey times because of conditions and with the risk of a overnight frost and black ice etc to deal with and uncertain conditions on arrival ,but i've if things improve enough i'll still try too get . as its mostley moterways and bypasses most of the way so should get gritted .but my final decition will be tomorrow evening.

As a relative local I will also check it out on the day - even though I will only be travelling 30 odd miles, it will still be a challenge in the early morning if it's heavy snow.

One thing to remember - the fishery is down several small farm tracks/bridleways and they may be impassable without 4x4. Its probably a 10 minute walk from the gates to the river. Again, not impossible, but something else to consider. There is a footpath from the road further down this may eb easier but parking would then be a problem.

However, I agree with you all on the weather - 3 degrees with snowy banks would make a fantasitc day out! I am well up for it if I can get there safely.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

One thing to remember - the fishery is down several small farm tracks/bridleways and they may be impassable without 4x4. Its probably a 10 minute walk from the gates to the river.

Good point, don't think Bob has a snowplough. Got a call back from the fishery and they completely understand the situation (they had seven 'no shows' today). I've got Simon's mobile number, if anyone else is happy to PM me thiers I can relay a relatively local weather report tomorrow.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

At the moment my wife thinks I'm mad even thinking about going, but I've managed to borrow my Dads 4x4 for the trip so should still be going. Will be making my mind up tomorrow when I've seen what the weather has thrown at us.

At the moment my wife thinks I'm mad even thinking about going, but I've managed to borrow my Dads 4x4 for the trip so should still be going. Will be making my mind up tomorrow when I've seen what the weather has thrown at us.

The roads are in a real mess today, the A34 is closed! Lots of snow around, if it freezes tonight could be pretty bad! I don't need to work tomorrow now but typically I doubt my little car could get there!

Rich