Barton Court 7th Feb

Rusty

It all sounds a bit nasty (I've not been to Barton court before, so dont know abou the track leading to the venue, is it really gonna need a 4x4?) ! I'm not sure what to do, as it takes me probably nearly 2 hours to drive there and I was planning on arriving early about 7.30am, that does not leave much time to check the weather with someone in the morning.

Do we have any members near Barton Court who can give us a better understanding of what we might be up against?

Ta

Simon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update from Wantage 15 miles north of BC.

Heavy snowfall overnight and sub zero temeratures made driving a nightmare this morning. I tried to get to work but sailing over a mini roundabout with ABS doing it's utmost to keep my Fiestas wheels turning wasn't much fun, I'm at home. Not much thawing going on and although snow isn't forecast for tonight sub zero temps will make it tough early Saturday morning. The track from the East Lodge to the car park is ok and there's four anglers there today.

If you're travelling a distance and have to set off early tomorrow I don't think I'd risk it. If you do decide to go and can't get there until mid morning (say) Bob's agreed to reduce the ticket fee.........but he hasn't said by how much so best to phone first (make sure you tell him you're with the Brasier party). Those more local could wait until the morning and decide then, that's what I'll have to do. Working from home these past two days has meant that I'm baitless so I'll have to buy that first.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It all sounds a bit nasty (I've not been to Barton court before, so dont know abou the track leading to the venue, is it really gonna need a 4x4?) ! I'm not sure what to do, as it takes me probably nearly 2 hours to drive there and I was planning on arriving early about 7.30am, that does not leave much time to check the weather with someone in the morning.

Do we have any members near Barton Court who can give us a better understanding of what we might be up against?

Ta

Simon

I live aprrox 12/15 miles from Barton Court and the conditions here are dire.Roads are extremely hazadous and many minor routes are not being gritted at all.As of right now heavy snow is still falling and Metcheck predicts snow will continue to fall albeit light stuff until midnight.

[quote Not much thawing going on and although snow isn't forecast for tonight sub zero temps will make it tough early Saturday morning. The track from the East Lodge to the car park is ok and there's four anglers there today.

I am amazed that there are anglers fishing at B.C. today.Good luck guys if you do go tomorrow i feel your going to need it.

[quote Not much thawing going on and although snow isn't forecast for tonight sub zero temps will make it tough early Saturday morning. The track from the East Lodge to the car park is ok and there's four anglers there today.

I am amazed that there are anglers fishing at B.C. today.Good luck guys if you do go tomorrow i feel your going to need it.

The weather in Reading isn't too bad, the snow starts at Newbury (going west). I think that the main roads will be OK by tomorrow (in terms of snow anyway) but may of course be icy - particualrly with this big freeze forecast. I am going to take an ice check tomorrow at 7/8am and take it from there. I think anyone coming from the West will consider very carefully before they go, but remember that Barton Court is only just off the A4, which as a trunk route will be kept open and gritted. I need to consider carefully coz the sodding heater fan has stopped working on my car.

At the moment I am 50/50. How many more are considering it? We'll get some great photos if nothing else!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

The weather in Reading isn't too bad, the snow starts at Newbury (going west). I think that the main roads will be OK by tomorrow (in terms of snow anyway) but may of course be icy - particualrly with this big freeze forecast. I am going to take an ice check tomorrow at 7/8am and take it from there. I think anyone coming from the West will consider very carefully before they go, but remember that Barton Court is only just off the A4, which as a trunk route will be kept open and gritted. I need to consider carefully coz the sodding heater fan has stopped working on my car.

At the moment I am 50/50. How many more are considering it? We'll get some great photos if nothing else!

Well Steve's (JV44) just pm'd me and I think it's going to take 6 foot snow drifts to stop him getting there so I'm gonna give it try too. Jiqotai and Simon have sensibly decided against it both having a journey of a couple of hours at least. Chavender would be travelling from Derbyshire and was due to pick up a reel from Jiqotai so I doubt that he'll make the journey now (I wouldn't).

I'll see how it is in the morning, as you say a great photo opportunity.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Well Steve's (JV44) just pm'd me and I think it's going to take 6 foot snow drifts to stop him getting there so I'm gonna give it try too. Jiqotai and Simon have sensibly decided against it both having a journey of a couple of hours at least. Chavender would be travelling from Derbyshire and was due to pick up a reel from Jiqotai so I doubt that he'll make the journey now (I wouldn't).

I'll see how it is in the morning, as you say a great photo opportunity.

Most likely to be just the 3 of us then?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

no ,i got over ruled by common sense ,so won't be making the journey ,its a shame but just not worth the risk .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

no ,i got over ruled by common sense ,so won't be making the journey ,its a shame but just not worth the risk .

Live maybe 25 mins away from Barton in good conditions so as long as the little roads up to the M4 are ok then i am going if for nothing else than to get some winter photos of the venue and a big Pike and some Grayling and some Trout major wishfull thinking face :D .

My girlfriend was made redundant today :( so need some thing to cheer me up and a mahosive Pike in the snow would do that thank you very much ,Rusty if the roads are iffy dont get risking it on my account but would be great to see you if you can make it Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: