Which Fly?

Elton

Posted on behalf of Nick:

quote:

As a complete novice at fly fishing I want to know which type of flies would be most effective at this time of year

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

Posted on behalf of Nick:

quote:

As a complete novice at fly fishing I want to know which type of flies would be most effective at this time of year
MINE :D:D:D

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

sharky1:

best bet is to ask the locals every time

Right, (assuming of course you are asking a local who is actually catching )

But don't just ask what pattern they are using, ask them how deep they are fishing it, length of leader, rate of retrieve etc etc.

I am amazed at how often "what fly" is the only question I am asked, when very often the method of fishing it is far more important than the exact pattern.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If I were ever to be limited to one fly for fishing still waters at this time of the year it would have to be a Gold Ribbed Hares Ear size 12. A gold head version of the same would also be useful for deeper work. That said, I would agree with the various pieces of advice given above.

Vagabond:

Vagabond:

best bet is to ask the locals every time

Right, (assuming of course you are asking a local who is actually catching )

But don't just ask what pattern they are using, ask them how deep they are fishing it, length of leader, rate of retrieve etc etc.

I am amazed at how often "what fly" is the only question I am asked, when very often the method of fishing it is far more important than the exact pattern.

Very true! It could also just be a persons position!

Koi Carp:

Very true! It could also just be a persons position!

Yes ! It reminds me of a little incident from my "small water - big rainbow" days.

Two similar ponds. Both full of big triploids.

Arrived early, considered the wind direction, chose the NE corner it was blowing into. Steve (arch rival - no ill-feeling between us, just a healthy desire to be one up on each other) arrives, fishes opposite side of pond.

I catch a five pounder. Decide it made too much commotion and that corner needs a rest. So move to NE corner of other pond.

Steve flashes into the corner I had just left (flattering, imitation being the sincerest form...)

Within ten minutes he is into a big fish, which turns out to be sixteen and a half pounds, best fish of the month. "Ho Ho Ho, Vagabond, you shouldn't have moved". I go over, admire the fish, congratulate him, and he toddles off to the clubroom to book in his fish and have a celebratory Scotch or three. I was told afterwards he was absolutely made up by catching the fish from a spot I had just left

I decide to fish on for a bit in the NE corner of the second pond. Soon I was into a big fish. This was the liveliest triploid rainbow I had ever hooked - took my flyline out and onto the backing - only stopped because it had come to the other side of the pond.

To cut a long battle and long story short it was a fin-perfect 17 lb fish, and I shall long remember Steve's dropped jaw when I brought it into the clubhouse :D Took it like a man though, and I only rubbed it in quite gently .

So yes, position can be important - all three fish came from NE corners of similar ponds during a SW breeze.

[ 31. May 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Visit your local (or intended) fishery, chat with the owner(buy a drink, some food or tackle!) and look, listen and observe, most fly anglers love to help a newbie,(any old grumps just throw them in !!!)ask about line(floating? etc) leader strength and most of all, their flies and if they're catching, make a note of conditions, time of day and if any fish are moving,ask what they are taking..if its lures, type and colour as colour sometimes can change form day to day but most all , wait until they have stopped catching fish, information will come without grumpy answers..and enjoy