Steelhead Trout

Elton

Posted on behalf of Ian:

quote:

Steelhead Trout - Could you tell me where in Scotland, there are other waters stocking this fantastic fish.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Steelhead Trout...sea run fish? or yer common run of the mill stockie with Steelhead genes more like, m8...last few years the trendy 'bow to catch up here was the Blue trout...if yer man wants to fish for good rainbows..Loch Leven stocked fish rule, mind u, I havent been there this season..call me cynical but stockie rainbows are much the same...methinks great fighting qualities are much hyped by fishery owners and suppliers..

Didn't realize they had a run of Steelhead in the UK. I can see where it's possible (since it's only a sea run rainbow trout) but never heard of it. Are they a native fish, or a planted fish?

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts

http://www.steelheader.net

http://www.steelheader.com

To put it mildly, there are pond reared rainbow trout which have been somewhere along the line been genetically 'created' using the 'steelhead' gene, just like the 'tiger' trout and other variants...personally I think it was used to hoodwink the angler into thinking the fish were 'Steelheads', they might have the genes present in steelheads but these fish were not sea run..I am not knowledgable about this breeding lark but even I know steelheads are sea run fish and how can they call fish taken from a stewpond somewhere and call them by that name ?

I guess just a ploy. I'd have to see/catch one to compare though. I know up in Alaska, they have some big lakes that have Rainbows that never go out to salt, and still get in the upper teen, lower 20# range. They fight and look just like a steelhead. But they are natural fish, not genetic altering.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts

http://www.steelheader.net

http://www.steelheader.com

We have them in the Great Lakes also, but like the previous poster noted, they are wild, free ranging in tens of thousands of square miles of open water.

Nothing at all like a pond stocky.

Any sufficienly large water can produce a "steelhead" in form, but no way a small pond could do it, as the color itself(the chrome silver), is a result of open water adaptive camoflage. Same fish confined to a small pond looks just like any other rainbow.

Nope, if you have steelhead, it's either in very large lochs, or in coastal sea areas.

bobbyf:

To put it mildly, there are pond reared rainbow trout which have been somewhere along the line been genetically 'created' using the 'steelhead' gene, just like the 'tiger' trout and other variants...personally I think it was used to hoodwink the angler into thinking the fish were 'Steelheads', they might have the genes present in steelheads but these fish were not sea run..I am not knowledgable about this breeding lark but even I know steelheads are sea run fish and how can they call fish taken from a stewpond somewhere and call them by that name ?

Sorry friend but this is basically just plain wrong.

There are NO steelheads in Scotland IMNSHO.

Let me explain why. A Steelhead is a diadromous Rainbow Trout i.e. a Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) that migrates between saltwater and freshwater.

Genetically your common or garden Rainbow is no different to a Steelhead. There is no gene that makes a rainbow a steelhead so you cannot transplant a steelhead gene into a rainbow, just as you can't take a gene from a Chihuahua and transplant it into a German Shepard.

To have steelheads in Scotland you would need the right conditions; large lakes connected to the sea by a fairly large river system.

The largest loch in Scotland is Loch Lomond. connected to the sea by the River Leven and the River Clyde. This is just not 'big' enough for steelheads, they really need BIG freswater lakes like the Great Lakes.

That at least is my understanding, others may disagree with me (as I disagreed with you).

Have a good weekend all, and tight lines in the new season!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest NickInTheNorth

Just refer you guys to this thread.

But in general there are no true steelheads in stocked lakes, just "silver" rainbows, bred for thier coulour in the same way as the "blue" rainbow.

Corydorus..

I bow to your post...put it into words i would liked to have..thanks..

My original post was ridiculing the fact that steelheads were not existant in our fine country..my gene thing was guess work as I admitted I didnt really have a clue..

[ 13. June 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: bobbyf ]

bobbyf:

Corydorus..

I bow to your post...put it into words i would liked to have..thanks..

My original post was ridiculing the fact that steelheads were not existant in our fine country..my gene thing was guess work as I admitted I didnt really have a clue..

Nae bother pal!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote