J R HARTLEY

johnthefraud

quote:

Anyone know what the J R stands for? No its not junior.
its Jonathon Rotten ,mr Hartley was a bit of a tearaway in his "yoof" after spending several years in prison in the fifties for pinching milk and not casting his eyes downwards in the presense of a copper he was released but after a couple of months sent to broadmoor for abusing elves , after 30 years he perfected his fly fishing techniques (using real flies tied to line made from his own eyelashes skillfully plaited together ,a reel made from a eucryl tooth powder container and a rod skillfully fashioned from cast off ciggarette smoke ) he then wrote his famous book ,the queen (an avid fly fisherwoman ) read it and demanded his release , he then appeared in a comercial where he was again imprisoned for being stupid in not saving one of the leather bound "collectors" versions for himself

:) he remains to this day on the isle of wight a old but not forgotten idol to the few

his name was taken as a protest in the punk age by a certain singer his plight was also made public in another song of the age "god save the queen" asking her to release him yet again from the pokey

[ 16. June 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm not sur JR stands for anything! It was originally just the figment of an Ad mans imagination. At the time of the original Yellow Pages Ad (1983) there was no such book. But as this Ad ran and ran this was obviously too much of a good thing so one was released in 1991 - it became and immediate best seller :rolleyes:

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

quote:

I'm not sur JR stands for anything! It was originally just the figment of an Ad mans imagination. At the time of the original Yellow Pages Ad (1983) there was no such book. But as this Ad ran and ran this was obviously too much of a good thing so one was released in 1991 - it became and immediate best seller [[Roll Eyes]]
come on chris that sounds a bit far fetched to me

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Now what Chesters says is true, Old J.R. used to live in Brading here on the Island, that is until the powers that be decided to reclaim Brading harbour back from the sea and build some houses on the reclaimed land. (I live on the Island so should know these things)

He then seemed to dissappear from the limelight for quite a while.

But then you might remember he suddenly appeared in Dallas, Texas and married Sue Ellen and was filthy rich.

Must have gotten his money to start from the sales of his book.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Thanks Guys, Where would I be without you? My Mum told me that the name originated from the fact that the 'author' was having breakfast one morning trying to think of a suitable pseudonym, as he did not want to be well known, especially as he also wrote 'Crossroads' and 'Eldorado'.

He picked up the jam to put on his toast, when he notied the name, 'Hartleys' he had problems with the initials, so he just dropped the 'A' from 'JAR'.

I think I'll stick with her explanation thanks chaps!