How to get started

DonRamos

I've been a dedicated course angler for most of my life (all 25 years of it) but recently I've been fancying a go at fly fishing.

Can anybody out there tell me how to get started. I need to know a good starting outfit, if I need lessons on how to cast or not, any good books or videos I can get on flies, where to go etc.

I live in Sussex inbetween Brighton and Crawley so if anybody out there can recommend a good place to start, what kit to use etc I would be eternally gratefull.

Also, if any of yuo AN fly fishing geniuses want to teach me yourself I would enjoy that even more.

Tight lines

Don

Don

It's pretty easy.Be careful buying tackle as a lot of it is overpriced and not suitable for it's supposed purpose.If you are going to fish reservoirs then bear that in mind when you buy Tackle.Having lessons first would help as you would get an idea what you need.You must learn to 'Double haul' This easy but essential.You live not too far from Bewl Bridge I think this may be a good place to start.Don't let the size of the water put you off.

Learn to tie flies as soon as you can,it saves money,helps you learn,is easy and good fun.

I'm sorry I can't helpbut I live a long way off. Lessons will save you money in the long run. Get good advice on tackle after you decide where to fish.A lot of 'flyfishermen' are not very good at it so make sure you consult someone who knows what they are talking about.

Don't fall for 'trendy' gear such as 'wide arbour' reels or 'hayfork' tip rings. they are unhelpful.

Try Steve Parton for advice.

www.spartonfly.co.uk

Good luck

I am in the same boat as you and after asking a lot of questions on this forum and getting some good replys i think i am nearly in a position to make a purchase and also I looking into some casting instruction. Although i think I will wait until this hot weather is over. I intend to start with a starter fly rod of between 6/8 weight to see how I go. I suggest you read up and anything you don't understand ask on this forum.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers guys, all very helpful advice.

Have been doing some research, and reckon I'm almost ready to start.

Gonna def get some lessons, and learn to tie my own flies.

Any further questions I'll ask.

Thanks again.

Don

I was frustrated at the lack of coarse fishing in an area that we had chosen for a holiday. I decided to find out more about fly fishing.

I started at the tourist info office in that area to arrange a couple of lessons as part of the holiday. They put me in contact that lead to a chain that lead to a man who could!

It was fantastic evening fun. Just down from Hadrian's Wall, all tackle provided.

From this I gained enough info to scour carboot sales and find my local tackle shops who can provide cheaper tackle.

Now I have a couple of travel rodes in the car permanently. My fly collection is steadily growing. Another source of really good info is on the web much of it american, but easily accessible.

Good luck

"Muddlin' along"

I got into fly fishing earlier this year after many years of coarse and sea fishing. Im now a well known club member who makes his own flies and holds the local waters record rainbow trout at 9.5lb. Its been a good year!

When you get your kit practice, practice and PRACTICE! My cast was a total mess at first but now i can get it to them almost every time.

Just another point. Don't give up! I blanked 3 times in a row before i caught something on the fly.