Wodja think then?

wunnus

I had a week up in Islay

I bought week permits for the bank ata couple of waters. I intended to get up early and fish a short spell and then again at dawn. The rest of the day was to keep the FPO happy.

I had the usual selection Peter Ross, Invicta etc

No sign of b' fish.

I started off fishing in close then a little wade and then movealong sorta plan.

I never saw any sign on top of fish. But I still tried out a couple dries just in case.

Any ideas as to what I could have tried???

Still the wildlfe (golden eagle, red deer, pereguines) and the scenery (a la landseer I spect) was breathtaking at those times of day. The single malt was also not to be missed.

"Muddlin' along"

I think that you should have gone with the traditional style of fishing for them which is known as 'cast and pace'this is self explanatory and over the day you will cover a great deal of mileage! but you should catch plenty of fish! the reason for this is that the brownies in these lochs tend to be very teritorial so once you have caught one fish in an area it is unlikely that you will catch another from the immediate vicinity.

Due to the acidic nature of much of the water in this area the trout often get much of their provenander in the form of insects blown off the bank so ideally fish with the wind at your back and try to lands your flies where the wind hits the water as this is where the trout will be expecting food to land.

Your rod should be long and supple ideally 10 to 11 foot and taking either a DT 4 or 5 line a team of three wet files with something bushy like a bibio or a zulu on the top dropper and a couple of more imitatives on middle and point though a flashy like a Peter Ross can be a good change fly from time to time this should be either in the middle or on the point a shortish cast is all that is generally needed and the long rod is useful in helping you work the flies back trying to keep your top dropper on the surface. Be aware that takes are very fast!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

When I fished any Scottish loch for the first time, three wet fly cast was Black and peacock spider,top dropper then middle one was Black pennell and point fly was gold ribbed hares ear(slightly weighted). If quiet you could try a 'flashy 'fly i.e a Butcher etc..as Alan says Use a Bibio or a Bumble type fly if any good ripple movement...if trying drys, if you can see whats coming off the water then match it failing that a wee Black Midge 916 or 18) might do the trick..and at night,just as darkness fall, at this time of year , a white Baby Doll,killer !!

Is cast and pace different from

cast from the shore ahead, to the side and out then step out a pace and repeat. move forward etc

with the wind coming over your back

?

THANX FOR THE HELP

"Muddlin' along"