is it easy to learn

nigelnibbles

right, i sea fish, i coarse fish, so i thought i might as well try fly fishing, before i rig myself out

1. is it easy to learn, all that flicking backwards and forwards :confused:

2. how do you know what type of line to use, is it in breaking strain like normal line :confused:

3. do you use sinking/floating line :confused:

must be more questions i cant think of, so if anyone can point me in the right direction :D

yes its easy to learn, but i'll leave someone else to answer the more technical questions!

i bought some fly tackle at the begining of this year after a life time of course fishing, and after a bit of practice in the garden i got the hang of it.

Nigel

The best thing may be to read a decent book first.Don't buy anything until you know the type of fishing you are going to do ie Lake,River etc.There are several books around.Casting is easy with balanced tackle but difficult without.The rod and line must mach.Lines are rated by weight not bs. Ordinary mono will do for leaders.Most Lake anglers probably use both sinking and floating lines depending on circumstances. It is all quite easy but you can be conned where tackle is concerned.The priciest is not always the best.In reality it would be difficult to explain it all on here.try a book to get an idea of what it is all about then maybe talk to someone who knows what they are doing.Casting lessons could be a good investment.

There is nothing complicated about it despite what some may think

Aim to start next spring so you can learn about it over the winter.

Good luck

DF

nigelnibbles:

2. how do you know what type of line to use, is it in breaking strain like normal :D

The art of casting itself is not that hard to master, the art of presenting the correct fly in the correct way at the correct depth and correct time is slightly more difficult.

It took me a fair while (granted I was 10 at the time) to learn how to cast with any great ease.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

i know a couple of good casting coaches in the midlands, if you're not in that area, do a google search of apgai or stanic instuctors. good casting technique is invaluable, and a good instructor can advise on tackle etc too

Unlike any other form of fishing its definately NOT something you can teach yourself. Quickest, easiest, cheapest and most enjoyable way to learn is to go to your nearest trout fishery, go up to the chap running it, and say you want to learn. Chances are he'll lend you a rod, tell you what to buy, and sell you a couple of hours tuition to get the hang of it. That's exactly how I started 8 years ago, and since then I've bought loads of stuff, read loads of books and mags, and learnt a lot from experience - but not as much or as valuable as those first two hours. Expect to pay around £20/per hour or £150 for a day's tuition. Good luck, its great when you can do it like a pro, and frustrating (and embrassing) until you can - but stick at it, its well worth the efort.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

There most certainly is the art form of casting a flosting line and the dry fly landing on the surface with very little ripple. Then there is the use of the floating line to catch fish.

It is worth getting tuition to help set up the good habits. But there is nothing to beat getting out there and fishing. While you are sorting out some ideas for suitable flies just extend your knowledge of bait fishing with the floating line set up.

I have found the range of coarse fish that are fooled by a fly to be wide. So far bream and tench have eluded me.

I still float fish but my ineterest in the floating line has added to my overall skills.

Good luck

"Muddlin' along"

wunnus:

I have found the range of coarse fish that are fooled by a fly to be wide. So far bream and tench have eluded me.

I have had a tench on an immitation blood worm mate

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

nigelnibbles:

Sonja and I fly fished on a visit up to Norrie earlier this year, we soon picked it up, well the casting bit that is. Norrie and I in one boat and the real expert with Sonja in another boat. John supplied the tackle so it was balanced and the right gear for the conditions.

My advice for what its worth, splash out on a bit of one on one with a coach for half a day and see how you get on. Don't worry about catching, we never and did'nt but had great fun :D

Alan(nl)

ps they did'nt give us any fluff to chuck, just a fly :mad:

[ 06. October 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/