Newbee fly fisher.

Dancey

The most important bit is to get someone to give you some lessons where they supply the kit. Ask them about what would suit you best. Then make a hit list of the sorts (not brands)of items you will need.

Then start searching. Look for bargains on rods and reel deals. Lines can be picked up as "mill ends" at fantastic savings. But be specific as to what you want. Start to trawl the local tackle shops until you find one where the owner is interested in fly fishing. Flies can be as cheap as 10-20p each or 50p+ so again check carefully. You only need a few popular ones for the water you intend to fish, so ask around. A salient fact is that the kid next door to you with grandads cane rod could be as successful as the chap on the other side with the whole shebang from the House of Hardy. The fish are extremely poor at identifying quality tackle.

"Muddlin' along"

Speaking of which... since the advertising seems to have started... have a word with Hugh O'Reilly at the Sharpes of Aberdeen shop in Marylebone on 020 7258 1233 - he does starter kits too, always reasonably priced and you'll be using the same kit after 10 years, let alone one. The usual disclaimer of not being affiliated with Hugh or Sharpes in any way, apart from as a very satisfied customer applies to this post, of course, it's a lot less distance to Marylebone from Bristol than it is to Yorkshire though.

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

Dancey:

I was thinking of starting fly fishing.

Does anyone have any advice on equipment needed?

and how much should i expect to pay for a good rod and reel??

Thanx

Tom.

I would endorse all views around tackle expressed by others. One comment I would make based upon the direct experience of teaching my wife and son over the last two years is to start with rivers rather than still waters. With the latter there is a tendency to want to cast to the horizon which develops bad habits that are hard to shake off later. Early success is a great thing for generating a love of any activity.