Just started

me

Given the wind is like to blow for a few months yet most of the time I would recommend the following reads. The first is called "The trout and the fly", which incidently made me think about my carping and piking quiet seriously as well. The second is called "matching the hatch". I actually have quite a few flies but I don't have many patterns. Greenwells spider, GRHE goldhead and goldhead olive nymph, Greenwells glory dry hackled, and skinny buzzers. I have the above in lots of sizes. I have a few others like my mosquito dries but I only use them for Grayling on the river Saale in Germany, never found fish interested in them anywhere else. All my UK saltwater is done with various colours of crazy charlies. My wife ties most of our flies. One genre of fly I have always found hopeless is the so called traditional scottish wets, even scottish fish are not keen. Also i find for most patterns commercial flies don't come small enough.

Anyway i would avoid having a box of loads and loads of patterns it just gives more scope to make the wrong decision. Why is this the case well that is covered in the two books. If nymphing nymph the should match colour of river bottom or weed in vicinity.

I dont want to be a spoil sport but I have found that away from trout the best fly to use is the BBB......(bigblackbugger). I am amazed that Chub find this to irresistable just as the sun comes up...maybe they are temporarily blinded. :D

Then Rudd and Perch go beserk for blood worm!

If you can get these in small sized hooks it seems to work best.

Or you could just try going back to Trout

"Muddlin' along"