How many flies ?

Cranfield

The comments on the "Just started" thread about how many flies we have, made me think.

I have a vast collection of feathered lures, nymphs, buxzzers, dry flies etc., amassed over 40 odd years.

For most of my fly fishing, I use about 10 patterns regularly (and successfully).

Over 90% of my collection have never been wet.

Am I alone ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Switching threads, you are not. My mate is addicted to flies he has acquired thousands. Rarely uses more patterns than you if that.

he is the same with salmom flies.

just a shoppaholic

cheers

Malcolm

Some flies become out-dated, some however are general suggestive patterns. At times however the fish are looking for a particular trigger point such as a pearl rib, touch of a particular shade of colour etc. thus leaving a need for many variations on patterns. Although I would use maybe 2 dozen flies for 70% of the time, the other 30% when the fish are very selective changing the pattern size or even slight colour change if you know what they are feeding on can make the difference. The other problem is I will use a pattern in sizes 16,14,12,10,8 and possibly 6 on the loughs and sizes 22 up to 10 on rivers..that means carrying a couple of flies in each I might have 15 or 20 of one fly!

But as for numbers of flies for the average angling day out a couple of trusted flies will often do, in fact sometimes I'll go out with half a dozen for an evening on the river. A competition on the loughs however means the works as on a hard day you never know which gem will produce the winning bag.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

its the same with floats ,i have dozens i only use another when the first one gets broken :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As a mere novice I often fall into the trap and think that I need more flies. But luckily I come to my sense and set about thinking why the fish are not biting.

"Muddlin' along"

Why do some folks get lots of different flies and not use them ? Same reason all my carping stuff is stainless steel and i insist on fly rod and reel being same manufacturer. No real reason at all. For me the secret is quite a lot of flies but not many patterns. Size variants are key however. Same with salmon I use Hairy Mary, Blue charm, Garry Dog thats it, hairy mary by far the most successful, although the principles of salmon accepting a fly are very different to that of trout. Where additional flies may be required is on a destination trip, as I indicated ref. the Saale in Germany. Some of the flies used for pacific salmon are very similar to flies i have except mine are in my pike fly wallet ! So if i ever go after the pacific salmon i should not need to by many flies :D

Well for me, assuming gamefish and freshwater only in the UK, it is:

Greenwells Glory Hackled (Dry)

Greenwells spider (Wet and in surface film)

Black and peacock spider (Wet and in surface film)

GHRE gold head nymph (Wet)

Olive gold head nymph (Wet)

Black epoxy buzzer (Wet)

Damsel Nymph (wet)

Daddy longlegs (Dry)

Lime green dog nobbler (for the end of blank days.)

Thats it folks.