Why did you start Fly fishing?????

me

Started because when fishing with the old bubble float and worm - and watching Brown Trout rising for flies on the surface and ignoring my poor worms, I wanted to try for them ... so got a fly rod and went on from there.

Went through the usual fly fishing learning curve when I was a young kid to a teenager: rod no#1 - broke 1st day I had it, lost my temper with it and stamped on it. rod no#2 - got caught in clothes line when practicing and snapped. rod no#3 - snapped when caught on heather. rod no#4 - snapped due to flaw in it.

Sadly I can't say I snapped one due to having a big fish on :D

Gillies :)

[ 11. February 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Gillies ]

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salar:

four days of heaven on Lough Carra and Lough Conn. Now its an annual pilgrimage (to Corrib as those two are polluted), plus any blowy days that prevent me from sea fishing.

Lough Carra is still as clean as ever, with the fish visible 15 feet down, and although Conn has suffered a little with run off from the peat working, it is not badly polluted, slightly coloured to the north end but still fishing well to the fly. To give the impression that either of these loughs are polluted is dis-ingenuous, also if it's too blowy you should be on carra, always fishable from a boat in some bay. Although I don't particularly like fishing Lough Conn there are many members of the angling clubs on the lough working hard at keeping the loughs clean and un-polluted. The difference with Conn in recent years is that the fish average a bigger size due to eutriphication, ie. there is more feeding in the lough and the clarity over the deeps is not excellent, however most of the fish in Conn are caught in under 3 feet of water any-way, also the runs of Salmon through the system has been excellent recently. I fished the European Championships on Conn in 1997, and to quote the President of FIPS; "an Excellent world class venue"! and we fished it in a full gale!

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

quote:

Originally posted by greg long:

Lough Carra is still as clean as ever,

Glad to hear Lough Carra and Lough Conn are faring better, they were certainly not as good in 2002 and 2003 as they had been in previous years. In 2002 we found loads of immature trout dead. I'll have to give them both another try this year!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I'm definately hearing conflicting views on the state of the big Irish Loughs.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...