Knots for droppers

Jeff S

Oh no not another question :rolleyes::D

I was wondering what might be the best method for attaching droppers to your leader? I'm currently using a extension blood knot to attach them. There's got to be an easier way :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff S:

Oh no not another question :rolleyes::D

I was wondering what might be the best method for attaching droppers to your leader? I'm currently using a extension blood knot to attach them. There's got to be an easier way :D

Try a 2 turn water [cove] knot. You can use up to 5 turns if you feel it neccessary.

Always use the dropper pointing away from the fly line.

http://www.fish4ituk.co.uk/book/knots/fourturn.htm

Colin

99% of the time I just use a single fly.

On those occasions where I do decide to use a dropper, I tie a loop in the leeder using a 4 turm water knot and then snip it asymetrically so that the short end is the dropper and the long one has the point fly attached.

The knot is pretty well secure and is my first choice for almost every other application from Makeral feathers to paternostering with a feeder.

Interestingly, the Kiwis don't tend to use droppers at all. They tie on a point fly then attatch an additional length of line to the bend of the hook and a second fly attaches to this. I've not tried it yet but as long as there's no hinge effect to bugger up the turnover, I reckon it might cut down on tangles.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

Interestingly, the Kiwis don't tend to use droppers at all. They tie on a point fly then attatch an additional length of line to the bend of the hook and a second fly attaches to this. I've not tried it yet but as long as there's no hinge effect to bugger up the turnover, I reckon it might cut down on tangles.

Thanks for the replies. I used the ext blood knot today and had a miserable enough time keeping them from tangling. I think that is down to inexperience. Actually after the first rats nest I went back to fishing a single nymph. I'll give the others a try soon.

Just out of curiousity.. Have you ever heard of ready made leaders with droppers already incorporated into them? Personally I'd rather make them. Probably not a new idea though. Could this be a money making opportunity?? :D

Ken I read something similiar today in the February issue of Fly fishing and Fly tying about attaching the 'dropper' flies to other barbless flies if that makes any sense. Only it was refered as a Norwegian tactic. Good idea only I might be concerned with the dropper coming off and leaving a length of line and a nymph that always fishes.

By the way the Feb issue has given me a few ideas for flies to expand on. Mostly about grayling and salmon and this crazy notion that the hatches are dwindling.

Thanks again

[ 25. January 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Jeff S:

Just out of curiousity.. Have you ever heard of ready made leaders with droppers already incorporated into them? Personally I'd rather make them. Probably not a new idea though. Could this be a money making opportunity?? :D

Thanks again

Been done I'm afraid. I think most of the anglers I know tie their own. Ready mades are probably fine if you haven't learned to tie knots.

Or even to senile to remember how to tie them.

Colin

Water knots are fine - they have a wonderful pedigree too - used to be used to join lengths of horsehair in Isaac Walton's day (thats where I learnt it :D )

Just a tip for newcomers to fly-fishing. Make sure that the bit to which you tie the dropper comes out the same side of the knot as the point fly.

Some prize prune once wrote in one of the monthlies, that if you reverse the process,and use the end coming out the reel side of the knot, the droppers will stand proud of the line.

True - BUT, if a trout takes the dropper, the line will snap at the knot. Tie one up and test it if you don't believe me.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I picked the idea up from an Aussie mag called "Freshwater Fishing" and the article was definatly referring to it being a Kiwi idea. Of course, that's not to say they didn't knick it from the Norwegians.

The knot slipping off the hook ain't a problem if you use barbed hooks....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

there is a very simple product on the market called seamless rings these are used where the dropper would be tied when you change flies the lenth of the dropper gets shorter and shorter well with the rings you cut off the dropper and tie on a new lenth . the rings are tied on with what ever knot you want eatch ring will have three knots on it the one from the line side the one to the next ring or your point fly and the one for the droper.

they are very cheap about £2.50 for a pack of 10 and you can reuse them as long as you dont lose them i keep mine on a very large paper clip keeps them all to gether .

worth a try and they dont get birds nests

tight lines and have fun :P :cool: :)