Which new rod (4 piece?)

Gillies

Hi

I'm looking at getting a new fly rod, and for any suggestions???

The main kind of fly fishing I do is:

Casting from the bank on lochs, the boat, and from the bank on small rivers - for Brown Trout, Sea Trout and Salmon. Any good all-round rods that should cover that?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone uses 4 piece fly rods? have been looking at a 9 foot 4 piece at AFTM 8, or should I drop down to AFTM 6 or 7? Really don't know.

Any suggestions would be great !!

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

i've got a greys missionary travel rod, its the mutts nutts, even i can cast well with it!

check out the greys homepage for more details, mine is 9'3, 6/7 weight. maybe a bit light for salmon

Have a look at the Fulling Mill range. I am gradually converting to 4 piece rods mainly as a security measure when they are in the car. $ piece rods are so good now the action is not impaired by the extra joints.

I think I would go for a No: 6 version as you can probably cast a No: 7 line as well, with care on the Lochs.

Colin

It's been a Greys, Fulling Mill or Daiwa I have been looking at - not sure which, going to see what kind of deals I can find on Greys or Fulling Mill.

A 9 foot 6/7 sounds sounds like it may be best way to go? (Salmon up here are mainly Grilse in 4-7 pound bracket)

Any suggestions on good reel to go with?

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I use the greys 11-3 rod rated #6 for the lough fishing, but for rivers I'd use an 8 footer, I found the greys great (4 years and still going) and use it in preference to my other rods except when fishing deep as I find hooking fish by feel easier with my sage as it is softer and less tippy than the greys,though you wont get much better than the greys for dry fly work at distance.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Hi I would go for the Greys missionary as well I have one and it is great. However bank fishing on a Loch and Boat fishing plus small river sounds a challenge for any one rod to do the lot.

Side of Loch (or larger river)I use a 2 piece 9ft #6, Boat a 10ft 2 piece #6-8, small river a 2 piece 7.5 ft #4, or the greys with is 8ft 3 inch and #5.

My wife and I also have Greys GRX saltwater rods which are good for the money and follow us around on holiday.