Sick

Jeff S

About a month ago I was reading a book on fly fishing and somewhere in that book it stated 'The most common cause of a broken rod is shutting it in a car door'. I thought at the time, what kind of idiot would do that? (ME) I've got a 9'6" 7/8 weight that I'm completely sick over.

Found out this morning it's easier than you might think. So rule of thumb: TAKE THE TIME TO BREAK DOWN YOUR ROD!!

I have a general idea of how to fix it. Thread (silk?) and epoxy but does it need to rotate to keep the epoxy from creating a run while drying?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Personally, I'd buy a new rod Jeff. I've broken rods before and have had them repaired but they're never quite the same. Never been stupid enough to break one in a door though........YET! :D

Paul

Cheers Paul I've got another that I haven't used yet. Same size and weight. I'll see if I can fix it. If I can't well it isn't all that old so I may see if I can get another tip for it. It was a three piece- now a four. They say things that go wrong come in threes. First was dropping the digi cam in the water. Now this. What's next? Think I'll stay home from work tomorrow. How Bl***Y embarrasing

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Jeff S:

How Bl***Y embarrasing

Don't feel too bad, I have seen rods passed over to people on the boat, the rods were held by the top section when the weight of the (sea)reel pulled the bottom section into the harbour

:( people do look a bit silly standing there with just the top section in there hand and a look of amazement on there faces.

Hope you can fix it.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I was in a boat one day when the reel (a borrowed one) dropped off the rod bounced on the edge of the boat and then sank out of sight, no problem just pull in the line and the reel will follow. But then he pulled in the last of the line all he was left with was the line end and no reel (that will teach him to put a secure knot on the line when first putting the line on). :D:D:D

I never would have thought of that Alan. Can get pretty expensive if it happens often enough eh?

I borrowed a rod from a friend fishing from his boat off the Mississippi gulf coast. I had a huge cobia on and thought I'd help out by trying to lift at the center of the rod. That's right where it broke. I still caught the fish and bought Keith a new rod. Funny thing is nobody can seem to forget that it happened. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

• 2 weeks later...