Who's been catching in the snow?

The Flying Tench

I'm really glad that you enjoyed my waffling. Straight from the head, through to the keyboard....hit the mouse!

As always, the pleasure is all mine!

To be honest, 3lb 10oz or 1lb 8oz, it didn't matter. The satisfaction was in overcoming the elements and coming away a little wiser than I had arrived.

Another surprise was the actual temperature of the water. It felt surprisingly mild underneath that layer of ice!

The amount of Rudd activity blew me away. Whilst they remain very active, through the winter months, on the rivers we frequent, most of the stillwaters we fish seem devoid of the species until Springtime.

Another point worthy of note are that the Rudd on this water are the 'true' old English strain that we so fondly remember catching as kids. Beautiful creatures, and a sight to behold. I mention this because on a number of the more commercially orientated waters we use, the Rudd appear to be completely washed out by comparison.

A targeted 2lb+ Rudd, of the quality present on this water, would have me doing back flips!

Best of luck to all those venturing out over the remainder of the weekend! :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who's been catching in the snow? We have.....yipeee.

Three of us made to Barton Court in the end. Couldn't set off too early as the roads were difficult but once a bit of traffic was out and about the main roads were ok, getting to them was another matter.

Glad we did though, all three of us caught. Mainly Trout but in these conditions any bend in the rod is welcome. Mike (Arbocop) won the numbers game with loads of Trout and a good sprinkling of Dace, some pretty good sizes. I was in pole position for variety with a couple of Trout, a Dace (small one), a Grayling (even smaller) and a Minnow (titchy). Steve (JV44) was trying for Pike but the only one to show interest was after a Trout that he'd caught.

IMG_3108.jpg

Two of the intrepid anglers;

Phil Daniels?...sorry I meant Steve

IMG_3109.jpg

and Bono?...nope that's Mike

IMG_3131.jpg

The fishery looked an absolute picture in the sun and snow

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

A very enjoyable day out

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Yes it was a great day out and the only bloody Pike i saw was munching on a Trout i had just hooked :doh: ,Mike had loads of Dace and Trout and some good ones at that and rusty managed a load of trout and a baby Grayling ,This is one for the twitchers whats this then

BartonCourtinthesnow002.jpg

BartonCourtinthesnow004.jpg ??

I spent most of the day feeding a male and female of the above maggots also saw a Snipe and a Water Rail.

I wonder what can have made the smaller fotprints here BartonCourtinthesnow011.jpg

BartonCourtinthesnow010.jpg .

Action shot of Arbocop BartonCourtinthesnow014.jpg and Rusty BartonCourtinthesnow023.jpg

BartonCourtinthesnow006.jpg Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes it was a great day out and the only bloody Pike i saw was munching on a Trout i had just hooked :doh: ,Mike had loads of Dace and Trout and some good ones at that and rusty managed a load of trout and a baby Grayling ,for the This is one twitchers whats this then

BartonCourtinthesnow002.jpg

BartonCourtinthesnow004.jpg ??

I spent most of the day feeding a male and female of the above maggots also saw a Snipe and a Water Rail.

I wonder what can have made the smaller fotprints here BartonCourtinthesnow011.jpg

BartonCourtinthesnow010.jpg .

Action shot of Arbocop BartonCourtinthesnow014.jpg and Rusty BartonCourtinthesnow023.jpg

BartonCourtinthesnow006.jpg Steve.

A pair of Brambling, maybe?

A pair of Brambling, maybe?

Stonechat and there were loads of them around there

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I didn't read this properly before posting our day. Well done Sharkbyte, I'd have been proud of that fish in perfect Perching conditions but to catch it the way you did was very impressive.

There's been a few posts recently of monster Perch being caught, are they enjoying a resurgence do you think?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Excellent pics, Rusty. :thumbs:

Yes. big perch are more common these days. There's a lot of possible reasons, just one being that we've not had an epidemic of Perch Disease that periodically decimates stocks for about 25 years. When we started the Perchfishers about then it was hard to find waters that hadn't been hit and 3lb+ perch were very thin on the ground.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Wow, excellent judgement and great result there SB!

And well done to all those who braved the elements to fish Barton Court.

You certainly all set the standard for use mere mortals to aspire to.

Geoff