Who's been catching in the snow?

The Flying Tench

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always been of the opinion that for Barbel 'Snow Melt' was the kiss of death in a small stream or river but this last weekend saw a few authenticated large Barbel coming out of one of our clubs upper Lea stretches including 10lb 1oz and a 9lb 14oz caught by two respected club anglers on a stretch that averages no more than 15 ft wide. One of whom was trotting for Chub & Roach with his trusty centrepin using red maggots.

The photographs have just been posted on the clubs forum.

I was at home in front of the fire thinking that that was the best place to be during a relatively cold snow melt but now I have changed my mind and I now wish that I had been fishing too.

leapingfish2.gif

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

This is such a nice topic, keep 'em coming!

It's been such a long time (maybe never) since I've fished through a real winter like this, I'd forgotten how much fun it is! There's definitely something special in fishing in such wintery conditions. The fish (in the streams and rivers, at any rate) seem to have got used to it, and are probably easier to catch than in recent wet and mild winters, if you can find where they're holding up. The chub yesterday were all shoaled up in the deeper slacks, rather than being spread over the length of the river, and they couldn't resist a big juicy lobworm.

It's amazing to think that in about 6 weeks I'll be fly fishing there for trout!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had my first go with a centrepin this weekend, didn't catch anything but really liked the experience :)

Good fun isn't it. I find that time just flies by when I'm trotting, even when I'm not catching much.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Lovely pics there

I had my first go with a centrepin this weekend, didn't catch anything but really liked the experience :)

Neil don't do it its more addictive than Crack Cocaine and you will end up selling all your lures to fund your new addiction :lol::lol: ,It is great fun but you might end up going to one of those help groups,You know the ones where there is a room full of strangers and you have to stand up and say hi my name is Neil and i am a centrepin addict steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Neil don't do it its more addictive than Crack Cocaine and you will end up selling all your lures to fund your new addiction :lol::lol: ,It is great fun but you might end up going to one of those help groups,You know the ones where there is a room full of strangers and you have to stand up and say hi my name is Neil and i am a centrepin addict steve.

Commonly known as Anglers Net fish-ins :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

lol

Nah...nothing can wean me off my lure addiction :)

I take it people are keeping an eye on water levels down south....snow is gone, now repalaced by probably 2/3 metres of extra water :angry:

Edited by Neil G

lol

Nah...nothing can wean me off my lure addiction :)

I take it people are keeping an eye on water levels down south....snow is gone, now repalaced by probably 2/3 metres of extra water :angry:

Spot on Neil, the Thames here is over its banks, full of freezing cold snow melt, rain and salt. I hope people made the most of it while it was snowy and beautiful, I think the next few weeks will be gruellers!