Who's been catching in the snow?

The Flying Tench

I had a couple of hours moochin down a tidal part of a small river today and found some lovely looking runs but they were all either void of fish or the fish in them were still too cold to be bothered feeding. I crossed a small stream entering the river to investigate new pastures on the other side.

Whilst I was engrossed in looking for likely chub haunts in my newly discovered stretch of river I forgot about the tide............. and the small stream I had crossed to get to the promised land..... After walking quite a distance up the river I tried to trot the float down a swim and noticed the current was hardly moving. Then I remembered "The Tide!"

I wound back my line sharpish and marched on the double back to that little stream I'd crossed previously. When I got there the stream was about five foot deep and there where no bridges enabling me to cross back. I had to walk the best part of a mile along the banking to a spot where it seemed shallow enough for me to cross and then as I waded across the stream I sunk to just below my waist in stinky water (which I think is a sewage outlet for a large sewage works). Finally, when I got back to the car, I was not only now frozen with the biting wind but I had to strip off ****o to get in the car so as to avoid covering the seat with god only knows what, luckily I wasn't pulled by the local bobbies or who knows what they'd have charged me with. Here's my only reward for all that effort.

16thfeb09RUfforddouglasweb.jpg

Nice fish,nice photo,nice story,well worth the effort,it could have been worse tigger,you could have blanked..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote wellyphant Nice fish,nice photo,nice story,well worth the effort,it could have been worse tigger,you could have blanked..

Or got stopped by the old bill on the way home filming an episode of road wars :lol::lol: . That would have been a very embarrassing claim to fame.

Just shows that you don't need to be fishing a rock mark at the coast to be caught out by the tide Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Or got stopped by the old bill on the way home filming an episode of road wars :lol::lol: . That would have been a very embarrassing claim to fame.

Wouldn't it just :o Funny I saw more squad cars in the short drive home than in the last 12month. I wonder if you could get nicked for driving in that fashion under those circumstances...........surely not ?

Wouldn't it just :o Funny I saw more squad cars in the short drive home than in the last 12month. I wonder if you could get nicked for driving in that fashion under those circumstances...........surely not ?

With Waders and wet gear as evidence i am sure they would let you off but it would be the talk of the canteen at there next shift end :lol: ,Well done on a bit of risky pioneering angling Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: