Problems with avg free

wayne baker

Ive been have trouble with my avg lately. The update manager is constanty disabled even though i keep updating manually and resetting the automatic updates and saving changes. Does anyone else use avg and have you had the same trouble. Any help would be good.

Thanks Wayne

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wayne,

I use AVG and haven't had any problems. Might be worth reinstalling it.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've also recently started having problems as has Peggy on her machine. However some days everything's fine.

What's more of an issue with me is how much AVG is now slowing my machine down, although it didn't used to be nearly as bad. Additionally, in the last week it's been scanning only half the files each day that it used to.

I've taken to running scans after I go to bed and getting AVG to shut the computer down when it's finished.

Any ideas on the latter points anyone?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

AVG updates server has outages every now and then, plus update files have known to be incomplete/corrupt. And there was the infamous case of the update file that rendered Windows XP unbootable for some language users!

Still, I think AVG is the best of the free options, and I muddle on through. The update issues always clear after a few days I find.

Geoff

Steve, have you inadvertently set AVG to a lower priority? You can access the 'Scan process priority' by going to 'Computer scanner' and then either 'scan whole computer' or 'scan specific files of folders'. The default setting is 'Automatic scan'.

Geoff

Steve, have you inadvertently set AVG to a lower priority? You can access the 'Scan process priority' by going to 'Computer scanner' and then either 'scan whole computer' or 'scan specific files of folders'. The default setting is 'Automatic scan'.

I haven't changed it and it's still set "to scan whole computer".

Ah, the penny's just dropped! I've no longer got my external hard drive hooked up for back ups. I've switched to doing back-ups online each day with Mozy. I'll hook it up again and see what happens tonight.

With our painfully slow Broadband (the downside of living in the sticks) it stil ltakes about 2 hours for AVG to do a scan though.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I haven't changed it and it's still set "to scan whole computer".

Ah, the penny's just dropped! I've no longer got my external hard drive hooked up for back ups. I've switched to doing back-ups online each day with Mozy. I'll hook it up again and see what happens tonight.

With our painfully slow Broadband (the downside of living in the sticks) it stil ltakes about 2 hours for AVG to do a scan though.

I got fed up with a slow internet connection when I upgraded to AVG 8 (win2k). I suffered the same update problems. Some sites were just dreadful including ebay, this proved to be a right pain when trying to bid for anything. e-mail was also painfully slow.

I downloaded the latest firefox browser about a month ago and now everything is working fine (famous last words!).

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!