Blue Trout

MickJ

I'd assumed the same,

i've actually only heard of one group of rainbows breading regularly in the uK other than via the assistance of man, they're at coniston hall near skipton on the border with lancashire and yorkshire. They bread in one of the streams coming into the lake, is anyone else aware of any...as it's those which may have potential for steelhead.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd assumed the same,

i've actually only heard of one group of rainbows breading regularly in the uK other than via the assistance of man, they're at coniston hall near skipton on the border with lancashire and yorkshire. They bread in one of the streams coming into the lake, is anyone else aware of any...as it's those which may have potential for steelhead.

I'd heard that there was a river in Derbyshire with a naturally self-sustaining population of Rainbows, though so far as I'm aware they've not shown any inclination to go to sea and come back Steelheads.

I assume that the availability of food locally has something to do with whether they go to sea or not?

certainly in the falklands the brownies became ocean going very quickly though I understand that the original introductions were from none ocean going stock.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Never knew that Phil, very interesting. I love fishing the place too as it seems to hold the hardest fighting rainbow's I've ever come across as well as its gorgeous setting.

Paul