Blue Trout

MickJ

Yup, them be 'bluies',

I think they are just selectivly bred from some 'blueish trout' many years back (like Marble-tiger-golden etc) and of course the 'monster trout' of Dever Springs etc.

The one trout we don't seem to have in the UK are the 'steelhead' - sea going rainbows, I hoped that the thousands that were washed down the Hants Avon in floods about 10 years ago would turn into them but I assume they were Sterile as now't became of them.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I heard of them on here three years ago, and last night I caught two, both on worm to 5lb line so not much of a battle, interestingly they stayed in the current all the way in, which brings me to my main issue, what are blue trout doing in the south tyne (ie not in a stocked lake), i can't imagine anyone had a licence to stock them but a few people have reported captures.

I can only guess that they came in when the recent floods happened, but how come they're all blue and not a mixture of rainbows and blue????

Stunning fish, and having spent a few weeks in the clear waters of the south tyne, delicious to eat as my wife and I found out last night, within an hour of their capture.

It's only a shame that I'm not seeing the sea trout I'd usually expect, in the numbers they should be arriving in. Never mind, blue trout it is.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Yes the blue A Trout is simply a colour morph of the Rainbow trout, Ive caught them the same colour as a Fresh out Bass,down to a uninspireing grey silver colour I didnt think they fought any more than a comparable sized Rainbow,And to be honest I dont see why they should Do black greyhounds run faster than Brindles? Water temp and diet influance the fittness of the fish not the colour the fittnes will intern influance the fight, Browns as a sub spiecies do put up a different scrap to a rainbow though, I have personaly found smaller river Brownies to be very accrobatic on light gear.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

There are some superb blues at Haddo and my experience is that look sleeker than the stockie rainbows and although they may not fight harder (open to debate, I think that they do) they certainly make faster runs.

Here is an interesting one though. About 18months ago Mike at Haddo put in some fingerling Rainbows just as an experiment. I caught one this evening - wow. It was fast. They now weigh around the 1-11/2 lb mark and are completely silver with just a few spots. Very little of the rainbow colouring.

Can't wait until they grow on a bit more :thumbs:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Toq

I believe Marbled and Tiger Trout are cross breeds between Rainbow Trout and Char not a genetic variation like Blue and Golden Trout.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

There are some superb blues at Haddo and my experience is that look sleeker than the stockie rainbows and although they may not fight harder (open to debate, I think that they do) they certainly make faster runs.

Here is an interesting one though. About 18months ago Mike at Haddo put in some fingerling Rainbows just as an experiment. I caught one this evening - wow. It was fast. They now weigh around the 1-11/2 lb mark and are completely silver with just a few spots. Very little of the rainbow colouring.

Can't wait until they grow on a bit more :thumbs:

I am going to contradict my self here maybe the difference in the fight could be down to the Blue trout being sourced from a different area than the Rainbows Pedegree does affect the proformance of Greyhounds :)

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Guest franticfisherman2

i was talking to a pal the other day and it seems the latest variety of rainbow trout available is a "red" trout! It appears to be - err - red! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

i was talking to a pal the other day and it seems the latest variety of rainbow trout available is a "red" trout! It appears to be - err - red! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Made in China?

انا آكل كل الفطائر

Well I found out where the blues had come from, apparently the trout farm at slaggyford (didn't know there was one) was involved in the floods back in July.

Now all I need is for them to go to sea.........then we can have some steel head fun!!"!! :thumbs:

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

good luck with your steelies Phil - expect they are triploid tho,,, so once they gone - they gone :(

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.