Local lakes in Essex area

joanne

Hello all :)

Could anyone please point me in the right direction? :confused:

I am looking for some nice lakes in the Southend or surrounding areas, for a day ticket

I am new to this area and hope that someone may be able to help.

Regards to you all :)

I'm in southend and theres a couple.

Priory park, day ticket is £3, nice carp, pike, tench and a bagfull of roach, trouble is its full of locals that have season ticket's and they don't seem to welcome other people, can you belive i walked all around that pond and couldn't give away 2pint of maggot.

still a nice days fishing to be had though.

Star Lane in wakering, take the turning for the brick works, its about £3 and have the choice of 2 ponds and a lake, don't bother with the middle lake in the summer unless surface fishing as it gets very shallow, the front pond is good so don't dissmiss it.

Good bag off fish, carp, tench, pike, bream, ton of roach, troat pellet on a band fished with a quiver tip is the way for the big tench. no permit needed for night fishing, just another £3.

Avoid the bigger of the 3 in the holidays, gets mobbed with kids playing catapult the boilie at each other.

If a kid ever shout's "what ya fishing for" say its carp on 30lb line, they won't cast near ya

If you don't mind doing 20 miles, The Warren in Stanford is a good lake, and its massive.

Can't remember the day rate, but its well worth it, there is a good mixed bag of fish in there, even cats, i really like this place and hope to fish it more often this season.

I christened my new lure rod there, in about 3 casts i took out a double pike :)

There are a coule more in Southend, Doggets and Mill barn, and one in rayliegh but i have not fish's them, so can't pass on any info.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

So I'm not the only one who got the cold shoulder treatment at priory park then!

Strangely the other lake controlled by the same club - Shoebury park was completely different, the regulars and baliff there were friendly and fre with info!

Are you the same person who was asking about Southend Lakes on the RMC forums Joanne? in case you're not heres the rundown on the ones I've fished

Priory park - as mentioned, not bad fishing, awfull regulars, rude baliff very busy and noisy in school holidays

Shoebury Park, very hard, some good fish in there though.

http://www.parks-ac.org.uk/ for info on both

Mill Barn, Great Wakering

Big lake - Typical commercial carp style fishing, loads of carp in the 3-5lb bracket, very easy fishing again gets very busy in the school holidays.

Lilly Pad Lake - Mixed fishery, heavilly stocked, ideal for kids and beginnners, it's a fish a chuck on float fished maggot, corn or meat will get through to slightly bigger fish, tench bream carp and crucians to a couple of pounds. Theres a few bigger carp, but getting past the small stuff is awkward.

More info at

http://www.bandtc.co.uk/index.php?page=millbarnlake

Travelling a bit further - The warren at Stanford Le Hope is excellent, 12 acres of gravel pit, good carp, mainly doubles with a few twenties, tench averageing 4-5lb along with plenty of bram and silver fish, one of the best day tickets in the area IMHO - strict rules, friendly baliffs, but the rules are mainly common sense stuff like unhooking mats, proper nets for carp/pike etc. the do insist on minimum 12lb line for carp/pike fishing, but thats not a bad idea as the place has lots of gravel bars, and large lillypad beds! day tickets were £6 I think last year

Glouster Park in Basildon, Good carp fishing, mainly high singles/low doubles, huge stock of tench, mainly 1-3lb range, lots of silvers, few crucians, and some stillwater barbel. Again, very busy during school holidays, but worth a vist or two if you can fish term-time weekdays. £3 Daytickets

http://www.micktoomer.co.uk/ for full info

RMC Chigborough - bit further out, at Maldon but worth a mention, could be shooting myself in the foot posting about this, excellent carping in the big lake, most fish mid-double figures, but as they were only stocked 3 years ago as 1-2lbers this is quite impressive, also good tench, bream and roach. £4 daytickets.

The small lake is members only, but is a tench pool that could have been designed by Mr Crabtree himself, shallow, lilly choked, and bubbles like a witches cauldron at sunrise every morning! Also rumoured to hold big crucians, but I've yet to catch one!

http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/ for more info

One other I've fished worth a mention - Slough house lake, Bulphan (just outside Basildon) - started out as a commercial carp-match type place till the fish grew too big! Carp from mid-singles to over 30lb, Catfish to over 30lb - relatively easy, the carp tend to follow the wind, and respond to big beds of particles (at least they did 2 years ago, last time I fished it) also holds some big bream. Day tickets were £11 on the bank, but again very popular and gets very busy at weekends.

Hope that gets you started!

Mat

Mat

A way to find new places is to look at the A2Z find a blue patch and search for the road name with fishing in the end at ask jeeves lol

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Hello terryk and all :)

Sorry not been here recently but life has been keeping me busy :rolleyes:

I have looked at the sites that you have all told me about and I have found some really nice places.....now all I need to do is get a licence.

Please keep the lakes coming this way....the more the merrier

Regards to you all

:D