sight bob on dropper

dunc85

I finally got fed up of fish taking my indicator so i decided from now on i'm going to use one with a hook in it.

I'd probably use a floating fry or something. The only thing is, how should i attach it to the leader. I would go for a dropper but it'd have to be very short in order for it to register a take.

Any ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunc 85.

I tie flies as Indicator Patterns for use on stillwater and on the rivers.

Tie the leader through to the nymph onto the hook bend of the Indicator Pattern , I use about 50 cm, with a half blood knot and trim the surplus short, this works great and does not inhibit fish from taking the indicator pattern. Whe you get a fish at the nymph infront it immediately registers on the indicator....a double whammy!!

Gwilym Hughes

Have you had any problems with the leader going off the end of the hook? I suppose it would be ok if the line is kept taught.

Another idea I just had would be to tie the indicator on as normal but leave enough line so that instead of trimming it off like you would usually do, you tie the nymph to the end of it.

The knot should be ok shouldn't it?

Yes that's Ok too...but when an insect hatches out of the water the head comes through first, by tying onto the hook bend the nymph and leader turnover in the casting action ensures that the Indicator pattern is sitting in the right fashion in the surface film...I would not be confident that the same would apply with the nylon leader coming off the hook eye.

I have not had problems with the nylon sliding off the hook

Gwilym Hughes

[ 22. July 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Gwilym Hughes ]

Dunc,

You need for the fly taken on the point by the fish to slide the floating pattern under easily otherwise the fish will spit it out before you get a chance to tighten into it....if the fish are feeding on fry then i would agree on a floating fry. A bushy Sedge pattern might be better.

I do use Gink myself also but sparingly.

I sue in the main CDC patterns as a sight indicator. Good luck on Saturday.

Gwilym Hughes