Help on saltwater fly outfit

Pugs

Good day gents,

Can anyone recommend/list a 'starter kit', rod/reel/lines etc for a newbie to the art of saltwater fly fishing? I'm on a budget too!

I would like to have a go, down on my local beach for Bass and Mullet. Finally, anyone local to Beachy Head area who would be willing to teach me the basics.

Thanks

Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pugs:

Good day gents,

Can anyone recommend/list a 'starter kit', rod/reel/lines etc for a newbie to the art of saltwater fly fishing? I'm on a budget too!

Pugs I am in the same position as you, there is a link when you first click on this forum, a pop up at the top, it leads you to tacklebargains.co.uk.

I was looking at the Fladden Vantage and asked Norrie's advice and to buy one for me but he has not come back to me yet :mad:

Cheers

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hi, Pugs, I would suggest and Rod Rated for AFTM 8, a two piece 9'6" and a cheap large arbour reel with a decent Weight Forward Floating Line, some Storm Wild Eye Sandeels, size 6 hooks and poppers, this should get you set up...Tacklebargains... can supply these, if you let me know what your budget is then I can give you some advice.

Gwilym Hughes

Pugs:

Alan,

Let me know what he says will you?

Pugs

Just phoned Norrie and he is going to take a look at it.

The link that Graeme provided is interesting, worth looking at. but check with Norrie before laying out loads of dosh, he knows where to find the right things at the best prices :D

Gwilym, thanks for that. I just have to print it out and go to the tackle shop. Norrie has sorted me out with a rod, reel and line so we will see what we will see :)

Getting quite excited here :)

Cheers

Alan

ps Gwilym, don't be shy posting please, you have been a great help to me

Cheers for now.

Alan

[ 19. July 2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

Hi Guys, I have looked at the rod Alan, and would suggest that it would do to get started ,you dont want to spend "loads a dosh" till you decide that it is for you, it sounds/seems just like the Daiwa rod that I told you about.The reel will do you for a while as well, tho' its not a large arbour....I dont use them...As I said ,a floating 8/9 weight line will be fine, then you have the option of floating,or sink tips....does it all.The reel is already fitted with an 8 weight forward floating line, so, that is sorted. I will get onto the airline tomorrow, and get back to you...seeya mate... :D:D As for flies, your ghillie will be more than happy to tie a few for you....I've just spoken to him.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hello again,as a wee postscript,I was Salt water Fly Fishing at the weekend for an hour or so with Nick in the north, he has the most beautiful rod I have ever seen and used in my life, it is a Reddington 4 weight, and is matched with a wee 4 weight reel (I forget the make) superb, you dont know there is a rod in your hand, and i was casting as far as I was with his 9 weight Loomis,(which is the size and weight I normally use for stillwater)I want one Santa..... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Norrie:

As for flies, your ghillie will be more than happy to tie a few for you....I've just spoken to him.

Thanks for everything Norrie and thank John for me please. I "think" fly's looking like maggots or bits of sea weed are the order of the day for Mullet, no idea on the Bass ones though.

Could you go ahead and order the rod for me mate,

I will still need a rod for travelling, Sonja did OK so we can both go out and play :D

Hijacked the topic a bit here, sorry

Alan