Help on saltwater fly outfit

Pugs

Alan:

I will definitely get in to this. I just need to let the fiancée settle down a bit and calm down after all the spending I’ve been doing the last couple of months. :)

Neil

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Pugs,its certainly great fun.Even if you dont ever venture further than catching mackeral on your fly gear you wont regret it.Incidently the humble mackeral is great for learning on and developing your skills.

Re the casting tuition advice I couldnt agree more.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

GB,

just a quick thank you, for the book recommended earlier in this string 'Fly Rodding the Coast' by Ed Mitchell. Bought it at Amazon, and haven't put it down since it arrived! Brilliant read...so good in fact I bought 'Fly Rodding Estuaries' too by the same author...also an excellent read with fantastic photographic images on top!

Highly informative and positively inspiring on both fronts...I've never been more keen to explore my local shores with fly rod in hand...and that must be a good thing :D

Tite lines

Art

Pugs,

good call, they probably didn't have a large enough fly to interest the larger bass, that or they didn't have enough movement or the right colour - the same dilemmas for all FF

As long as you enjoy your fishing, nothing (within reason) is cheating.

the most successful flies seem to be those with blue or green backs with white bellys - same as baitfish / sandeels. saying that, a couple of SWFFers i know are now experimenting with red or orange flies with some success, based on the ideas that rapalas and large salmon flies in those colours all catch fish.

i have used plugs before but lost heart due to the cost mainly (£9 for a rapala).

In really skinny water - less than a foot, i don't think you can really beat a fly, even in weedy water you can use mono to make a weedguard to avoid fouling the hook.

as to casting, well as i mentioned sometimes its just about getting 10 yards out in a slight blow. a good cast for me is between 20-25 yards (60-70ft). on a calm day i can almost get the full line out - 32yards, but its not very often necessary. reading the water is much more important.

before you get any tackle, i advise at least one lesson with an APGAI/ STANIC instructor who should provide with the loan of a rod, it will be the best £30-50 you'll ever spend.

Artful - glad you liked the book, exploring is a very great part of the fun of SWFF for me. Its amazing what you can see once someone has told you how to look !

Mark

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Thanks to my endowement policy rip off I'm know in a postion to go and get my fly gear :D

I think I'm going to get a Ron Thompson MPX saltwater 9' 4 section rod plus a Okuma Airframe reel and Wf #9 line...all for a 100 squid(Is there anyone who can match this?)! Does anyone have any reservations about this gear? Don't forget this is for a novice SWFF.

What other gear do I need i.e. leaders,tapers, trays etc. And what do you all recommend?

Quick responses guys as I'm itching to get the gear bought and get out and catch a double figure lunker :P:D

Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

• 2 months later...

Pugs,

I don't know the rod, but I have the reel, excellent for the money, it has been totally immersed in saltwater several times and has shown no adverse effects at all. What is even better is you will have a nice Pike outfit as well

Be careful if you are planning to use breathable waders, some are not very saltwater resistant.