braided loops

dunc85

I need to replace the braided loop on my fly line as the previous one was cutting into the line.

However, the plastic sleeve is of too small a diameter to fit over both the fly line and the braid.

So i'm asking, is the plastic sleeve required of could I just superglue the braid to the line.

Incedentally, the previous loop was cutting in because the end of the braid has been glued, making it quite hard and sharp. What can I do the prevent this, but also prevent the braid from fraying?

The funny thing is, the loops are from the same manufacturer as the line. You'd think the sleeve would have been tested it could fit onto the line.

Anyway, I hope you understand my question in among my ramblings.

Ive managed without the sleeve but I wouldnt want to make a habit of it, particularly as it stops the braid end from unravelling. The jury seems to be out on superglue, some say 'yes' some say 'no' I always put a single small drop at the top just under the loop and let capilliary action suck it down the braid, trying to keep it off the loop itself. The only time a braided loop parted company with the line was when I tried to use it on leadcore.

IT DOESNT WORK!

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I tend to strip an inch or so of the plastic covering on the fly-line and splice a loop using the core. I have had loops come off while playing fish unless they are glued, and if I'm going to glue I'd rather glue a spliced loop as it is neater.

To answer your first question though use the sleeve, heat it in hot water and it will stretch over the braid and line.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Dunc,

I like Greg strip the plastic coating off the end of the flyline and make my own loop either by whipping or with a simple overhand knot. I use 'Acetone' to do this. Place the end 2" of flyline into the bottle of Acetone and hold it there for about 1 minute, when you remove it from the bottle you will notice that the line has swelled up, between thumb nail and forefinger strip the plastic coating off, it should come off in one piece if you have soaked it long enough.

The benefit of this is that it does away with the Braided loop altogether, thus allowing the line to slip through the rings on the rod easily if you are using a leader which is longer than the rod. You can attach your leader to this by either loop to loop or by a simple half blood knot.(Yorkshire Game Angling sell the Acetone)

Gwilym Hughes

A bit of spit makes the sleeve slippy enough to go over the braid and fly line. (or use Gregs 'hot water' trick)

The reason they are tight is some people dont glue them (some quick change idea to a sinking one etc).

If not I have used 'heat shrink' tubing (electrical stuff) which makes a very neat job of it & some even have glue in them.(watch the temperature - you dont want to melt the braid).

Some off my old lines have had many years of abuse and the superglue / sleeve & braid are still fine.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.