Life Time Warranties

Caddis

I take back all that I inferred about Greys. The replacement for the broken tip arrived back today expertly packed and with a turnaround time of 5 days.

[ 27. September 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fly rods but all the same :

I am fortunate to own MAP parabolix match waggler, power waggler and feeder rods.

All three have liftime warranties on all parts.

The waggler rods have been fine.

Last year I broke the carbon (all three tips carbon NOT glass) 1oz tip while still water fishing in the winter.

A week after I broke the 1 1/2 oz tip!

I belive both broke due to weed getting caught on the knot between the leeda feedertec braid and my mono leader and me not paying attention!!!!!!!!

I took both tips to the leeda shop (where I dont shop as per tackle shop post).

Within a week I had two brand new tips!!!!!!!

[ 17. September 2004, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Glad to here Greys produced argyll.

It amazes me how many grumble when they break a rod, I tell e'm to get in touch with the maker and they say 'oh I've gone and bought a new one now' ' I can't be bothered'

If it was a 'quality' rod you expect 'quality' service & therefore send it off , you've nothing to lose except a broken rod!

And as seen by the messages above, it's worth paying the extra for a 'lifetime' guarantee from a decent maker.

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Anglers whinge about the price of a top end rod. That Redington Ti 10wt cost £650 but was replaced without question within 48 hours.

I tend to be hard on pike fly rods and this one snapped after casting pike flies into a headwind for a couple of hours. I suspect it will happen again in my lifetime perhaps more than once. But whatever I do to damage it, Redington will simply replace it time and time again. A lot of these 9/10 weights were born on the US Atlantic coastline for striper fishing. Companies like Sage, Orvis, Redington and Loomis know that their rods will take an above average pounding and will inevitably be replaced at least once or twice in the lifetime of the owner. When you buy one you are in fact also buying several others in advance.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Guest NickInTheNorth

The redington life time warranty really does mean what it says. I know "someone" who bought a redington, walked out of the shop, put the rod in the car boot slammed the boot shut.

Opened the boot, took the now broken rod back to the shop, and walked out again within 10 minutes with a new rod. He told the truth to the shop owner, who told the truth to the UK importers, who gave the go-ahead for the replacement. :cool:

Good rods, great service, incredible warranty.

didnt mitchells have a lifetime warrenty ,how soon a lifetime ends

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

I started this off - just to say that after 2 months Greys finally sent a replacement. Looking at the comments it's clear to me that warranties really only mean something if you buy from a retailer who keeps your rod in stock. (My rod had gone out of production).

cheers

What was the cheque for? (assuming replacement under 'lifetime warranty' was FOC)

I'd have thought at the price of a Greys the postage would be free!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Interesting, I thought Greys only introduced the life time warranty when the new range was launched and the brand "redefined" after it had been acquired by Hardy. We have 2 GRXs and 2 missionarys which came with the warranty, at the same time we purchased new (at a discount due to end of line) a 13ft Pilgrim Salmon rod for my wife, no life time warranty was offered on that rod.

Caddis - and i'd add, only applicable to original owners.

i have also heard that if you buy a Sage through sportsfish, it takes at least 2 months AND they charge you a £20 handling fee. it is better to go to Sage direct, although if you ask nicely sportsfish will loan you a demo if they have one.

orvis & redington - i have only experienced & heard good things of both, which proves its not necessarily the most expensive makes that offer good service.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "