Salt water

Spur-Hound

Hello folks,

Just to see how many here actualy do this?? I used to be a keen trout angler years ago, Gave it up became to serious into sea fishing, This year took up flyfishing in the sea and never had so much fujn, Bass, pollack to 3.5lb, And wrasse to 3lb, Ok so the wrasse was on rag tipped fly, but what the heck, On those light rods, Its unbalevable,

How many of you flyfish in the sea and what species have you caught???

Fly wise i just been using those white fritzy glitzy thingys, Anybody hae a source of actual saltwater flies?

Tight Lines

Shaun

Tied up a few that the pollack love. Do them with gog goo eyes(they move) and epoxy resin heads. Give me a PM and I will post a couple for you to try

Tight lines

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hiya Spur,

There are 4 or 5 of us on here I and 260 ish on ukswff.com, I now only Saltwater flyfish (SWFF),here in Guernsey. This is my first complete year and have had many pollack to 1.5lb, wrasse to 2.5lb and last night my heaviest bass of 6.5lb, 25.5 inches long and 16 inches girth.

all fish i return. our season for pollack is just starting - Keith white in jersey dropped a 17/18lber back in the sea last week ( from a boga grip.

i have brought up 2 past threads that should explain the potential to you and includes a few pics of mine and others fish. basically the flies & techniques are all nicked off the yanks.

if you need anything else just let me know.

Mark.

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Hi there Spur-Hound, have had a few tries down here on the south coast, both from the shore and off my kayak, but had no luck yet.

Had a really depressing session in July, shoals of fish breaking the surface at a castable distance but not interested 2 of us trying, all I managed was a filled up pair of chest waders.

Have also had a night session, but not a sausage, going to give it a go with a guide next year, there's a chap working out of Chichester so going to give him a bell in the Spring.

Not giving up though. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I have been having a bash on trips to Scotland for a few years now, some thing to do on the first Sunday when the river is unavailable. Coalfish and Codling is what I have caught, nothing big though, well also sea trout. Its good fun. My wife and I had a go in Crete but blanked. I planned to have a go in Cornwall at half term but all my sea fishing plans both fly and bait were nobbled by the weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have had quite a bit of success with spiders of all things, around about a size 16-18, using a #5 weight 8' rod, for small bass and mullet. early season there are couple of spots around here where they shoal up in huge quantities (cant say where unless cash is involved) but i have also had a few bigger ones on them too. If you can hook a big mullet...then you will know about it!!!!

Have also tried sandeel looking flies, with relative success but only with the bigger ones. But then you need a heavier weight rod...which kinda defeats the object!!

FISHING: (fish'ing), the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning, while freezing, sweating, swatting or swearing.

OAR: Clumsy wooden instrument used to moisten boat occupants.

morecambe - they're not called the british bonefish for nuthin'

sounds like good fishing - as to the sandeel flies, with a #5 cast a size 6 hook- just tie some white bucktail to it , very very sparse - ten fibres is enough, add a bit of flash and bobs yer uncle.

GB

[ 18. November 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: guernseybass ]

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

I have tried a few things similar to that but the only trouble is they tend to work better if they are down in the water a foot or so, which requires a bit of weight...thats all i was meaning. Where as the spiders tend to work best fished just under the surface.

plus by fishing with a size 6 you will get a lot less hook ups with the slightly smaller mullet.

FISHING: (fish'ing), the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning, while freezing, sweating, swatting or swearing.

OAR: Clumsy wooden instrument used to moisten boat occupants.