Saltwater Fly Fishing

willtrevt

Now that the trout and salmon seasons are over I was wondering what fly fishing I could do. Is it possible to do some salt water fly fishing at this time of year on the dorset coast? If so does anyone know of good areas? When is the prime time for Bass on a fly. Many thanks

You could always try pike fly fishing.

Colin Brett has a great little website at www.pikeflyfishing.co.uk. A 9/10 weight is best bet but you might get away with an 8 weight on small waters.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

people tend to be pretty tight about specific areas for bass given the low stocks and high commercial value.

That said there are lots of good places to try in Dorset, its a real hotspot. worbarrow, tyneham and lulworth will all give you a decent chance as will parts of poole harbour (not the bass nursery areas obviously.

its just coming to the end of the season now, although i did have a 6.5lb fish on a chartruese and white deceiver last wednesday which i released, so there are fish still around. In general, the bass hang around until the water temp drops to 9C then they head off down this way until March. There will still be plenty of pollack around though throughout the winter.

Prime time tends to be from June to October, but thesedays bass can be taken pretty much all year round.

look for any areas where there is both structure and current - such as rips, sandbanks, channels, reefs,bridges, jettys and estauries ie anywhere where you can cast a fly out and let it drift along in the current.

think river trout and you're halfway there, and if you catch one let someone else have a chance of catching it too and C&R.

cheers

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Chub seem quite keen to take flies/lures. Seen Mr Hayes get some yarkers on tv.

Also as has been mentioned you could target pike and also perch.

I believe they are still catching bass and pollack up the Mull of Galloway but that will be an awful long trek for you.

Tight lines anyway.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy