Winter flyfishing

Quinny

hello, what sort of flies should i use on a small stocked trout water at this time of the year? i am going fishing next week and wondered whther i should use lures or nymphhs. Are buzzers any good or is it too late? thanks. Quinny

Alright Phil, I will be fishing somewhere in Kent, a couple of mates recommend the place and i am going on tuesday next week. I think it is in a place called Andover? The boys say it is very good fishing, but have no idea what flies to use.

Andover is in Hampshire not Kent Quinny!

There are a few lakes in the area inc the 'Famous' Dever Springs, Rooksbury Mill and Sutton Springs all having featured on the Telly!

(and big bucks for two of 'em)

At this time of year most anglers use rather garish lures like boobys and montana's but some good fish will go for imative fly's.

Also you may need to get down a bit to the fish so a sinking end or leader is required.

If the weather holds warm then a few will still be on buzzers.

I would try a 'goldhead' with green / black or white body that goes in with a good plop to ensure a fish or two.

Worth finding out which fishery it is so you can check it out online for lure rules etc - some have a max 50p rule or no boobys etc.

Tog

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.