daiwa exceller 2500

hpint

Hey there. Just wondering if any of you has used the daiwa exceller and know of a good website to buy them. Also, can you recommend any good spinning rods for casting weights from half oz to 2 0z weights. I know i prob have to buy 2 diffirent rods to cast both weights but just need some opinions on good spining rods. I'm going on a fishing trip to Mozambique and going to do drop shot fishing for king and queen mackerel, kingfish, wahoo, bonito, etc. I havn't done this type of fishing before and would appreciate all info :D.

I read somewhere that the daiwa exceller is a good reel for that type of fishing...

Thanks!

hpint

This would have been better posted in the Sea angling section I have only just noticed it.

The Daiwa Exceller is a fine reel but is way to small and light for the species you mention the species you mention will run hard and fast and you want a reel that will hold at least 250 meters of 0.40 line as a minimum (my preference is for braid). I would recommend something like the Sealine Bull Hi Reel in the 5000 size.

As for rods you need something in the 60-120g range as a minimum I use a Greys 9ft GRXi for my light stuff and a Greys Power Popper for my heavy poppering and spinning, however this rod is not to everyone's taste

I would not recommend drop shot fishing for the species you have listed soft plastic baits will just get chomped and you will need a heavy wire trace in the 25-40Kg, normal hard bodied lures will be best and my personal preference is for using poppers.

You do not state whether you are fishing from Boat or the shore but if you want to catch the species you list boat fishing will give you your best chance to catch.

I you want to fish light in the 0-60g class then i would recommend that this is done from the shore and you target smaller species such as Snapper, Barracuda etc through these may still go to a heck of a size so I would still recommend a 5000 size reel with 15 kg braid or nylon.

I would also recommend you do not skimp on swivels (take plenty in the 1/0-3/0 sizes and tale a range of trace ire from 15-25 Kg)

Plastics will work for this sort of fishing but bear in mind most of the species you will be catching have a fairly formidable set of dentistry and you will be using virtually a lure per fish.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

hpint

This would have been better posted in the Sea angling section I have only just noticed it.

The Daiwa Exceller is a fine reel but is way to small and light for the species you mention the species you mention will run hard and fast and you want a reel that will hold at least 250 meters of 0.40 line as a minimum (my preference is for braid). I would recommend something like the Sealine Bull Hi Reel in the 5000 size.

As for rods you need something in the 60-120g range as a minimum I use a Greys 9ft GRXi for my light stuff and a Greys Power Popper for my heavy poppering and spinning, however this rod is not to everyone's taste

I would not recommend drop shot fishing for the species you have listed soft plastic baits will just get chomped and you will need a heavy wire trace in the 25-40Kg, normal hard bodied lures will be best and my personal preference is for using poppers.

You do not state whether you are fishing from Boat or the shore but if you want to catch the species you list boat fishing will give you your best chance to catch.

I you want to fish light in the 0-60g class then i would recommend that this is done from the shore and you target smaller species such as Snapper, Barracuda etc through these may still go to a heck of a size so I would still recommend a 5000 size reel with 15 kg braid or nylon.

I would also recommend you do not skimp on swivels (take plenty in the 1/0-3/0 sizes and tale a range of trace ire from 15-25 Kg)

Plastics will work for this sort of fishing but bear in mind most of the species you will be catching have a fairly formidable set of dentistry and you will be using virtually a lure per fish.

Hey Tony

Thanks for the reply and yeah I should have posted this on the sea section...dope! :wallbash: Anyway, we are going to have a boat so will be trying to fish for some big ones. Buying new tackle can be quite expensive so I want to be dead certain that I buy the right tools for the job. The lighter tackle was recommended by some friends but I think they might be a bit optimistic...

From the suggestions you made regarding the tackle it sounds that you have fished Mozambique before?

Hpint

No I have not fished Mozambique despite it being a place i would very much like to visit; but I regularly fish Cuba for all of the species you mention (plus a few others notably Tarpon and Dorado) and I guess the methods wil be much the same.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.