Strange Marks On Trout

Elton

Posted on behalf of Tracy:

quote:

hi while fly fishing last weekend i noticed 5 or 6 trout with large white patches on them all differet markings on the heads middle and tails can you tell me what has maybe caused this and are they safe to eat if caught

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This is probably some kind of fungus, I've noticed it on the fish at some of my local fisheries at this time of the year. Not actually caught any fish with these markings as my fishing takes place at crystal clear spring fed fisheries so I simply avoid these fish.

Not sure about how the eating quality is affected, probably best to ask the fishery manager.

Its probably 'Saprolegnia' a water borne mould. Its not uncommon, and I've treated koi suffering from the same type of problem. Its fairly superficial if treated, if untreated it spreads rapidly. I wouldnt advise eating fish which are affected, even if you cut off the parts which have the mould.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

At my local fishery I had the misfortune of catching two of these fish in one day - the only two fish that i got as well!

They fight really poorly and it looked as if the scales were "bubbling" off, pretty disgusting.

Whenever I go to the place, I see the same fish swimming around covered in the stuff, but its been there since at least September.

I've seen it at a few fisheries - sometimes as early as the middle of August. It seems to be worse at small waters where there's little deeper water or where the weed is over controlled - perhaps the fish lose condition in the warmer months, are unable to hide or get enough oxygen and are then more susceptible to it?

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!