fly fishing on saturday

me

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathan,

brown trout don't come into season until the 16th Matrch. Some rivers/waters don't pen until later. Check with your local water board for local dates.

There are plenty of rainbow waters open at this time of year though - all year waters. Pike are worth a go on the fly at this time of year too - they are coming into shallower water at this time of year and are not that difficult to target. A #9 weight rod with an intermediate line. Strong leader - 20lb I would use as Pike are not line shy - finished in 6" of wire trace that you simply clip your fly to. Pike will take it, believe me. BUT, you need to use LARGE FLIES, 6/0 and 6" are not too large but the norm. You don't have to cast them miles either, pike skulk close to cover, so cast alongside reedbeds and the like. If after say ten casts you haven't had a take MOVE. When you have exhausted your water change fly and do it again with the new pattern. DON'T keep flooging the same water, the pike will get bored. By resting the spot for a while and coming back with something else you can stir them into action.

Have fun,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

went fishing to this small river. I caught nothing. there were rainbow trout there also. it was on a campsite and i asked what species where in it.

I didnt catch anything as the river floooded quite high and it was very windy. i tried spinning but caught nothing.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

Nathan were you sure there were Rainbow trout in it?? Few people put rainbows in rivers as they tend to go downstream and disappear. Also as far as brown trout are concerned they are probably best left alone until the start of May to give them time to recover some condition.

Ps good to hear from you again used to read your posts with interest.

:P

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

waiting until a bit later in the season will be a good idea, where was the river/what was it's name, maybe someone on here will have some useful information.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• 3 weeks later...

Gwilym Hughes:

Nathan,

Where do you intend to fish for Brown Trout? just a reminder to check the'Closed Season' for this speices....they may be out till March the 3rd...something like that

Gwilym Hughes

Here some places open 11th Febuary for Brownies.

Must beat P.B