Buying on line in the USA!

JayP

Has any one bought fly gear online from America? have seen a fishpond pack 50% cheaper in America but will import duty etc make it uneconomical?

Regards to you all

JayP

Do you have any friends or relatives over in the states? what I do is get my fishing tackle delivered to friends there, and they send it to me and declare it as a gift .... so no import duty has to be paid.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

jeepster:

always worth trying, the import duties are so randomly applied that you'll be unlucky to get caught out

LOL I got stung once for an unsolicited free sample I got sent. Only paid it out of curiosity.

My cat is now dead.

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

LOL I got stung once for an unsolicited free sample I got sent. Only paid it out of curiosity.

My cat is now dead.

So what did you do with the Pit Bull Terrier. Did you keep it ? :D

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Jay,

I bought plenty of stuff from Bass Pro a while back.

I paid VAT and import duty plus air freight charges, plus admin fees to the carrier (UPS or similar). The carrier delivers the parcel to your door and takes the duty and admin fees there and then.

I worked out later that the total duty was around 30% on top of the US retail price.

I also worked out that the stuff we bought (27,000 yards of Berkeley line) was one fifth of the equivalent UK price AFTER paying US retail, duty, air freight and admin charges - so it was well worth it.

Just make sure that the reducyion in cost more than outweights the duty and transport cost. Or as somebody else pointed out get it sent as a gift.

Hope this helps

Tim Marks

If you buy from a US retailer on Ebay, you can ask them to wrap it in gift paper and hide the bill inside the wrapper and mark as a gift... I got an orvis waistcoat and didn't get stung this way. They said they didn't mind either!