Angler cautioned for illegal fishing methods

Elton

The Environment Agency has today (Monday) issued a formal caution for three offences to angler Peter Collins of Peterborough who was caught fishing on the old course of the River Nene using set-lines - an illegal form of fishing prohibited under section 1 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

The formal caution was administered in person by an Environment Agency solicitor and was accepted by Peter Collins at the Agency's regional 0ffices in Peterborough. He also agreed to forfeit the lines and hooks that he was using as the set-lines.

The caution, signed by Mr Collins, will stay on his record with the Environment Agency for five years and is an admission of his guilt to the

offences.

It can be cited as a previous offence if the offender is brought to court in the future and found guilty of another breach of the law.

On 16 February 2004 Peter Collins was observed fishing with the set-lines by two individuals, a liaison officer with the Pike Anglers Club who is a former police constable and a local angling journalist.

Interviewed under caution later at home in Folksworth, Collins claimed he was fishing for Zander to make a protest against the introduction of these predator fish into East Anglian waters and had been doing so intermittently for about three-and-a-half years, estimating that he had caught about 50 fish during that time.

He claimed it was easier for him to use set lines as it was no longer possible for him to fish with rod and line because of a physical disability making it difficult for him to get up and down the banks of rivers.

He admitted that he knew it was illegal.

Having made his protest public he said he would not be doing it any more.

It was for public interest reasons that the Environment Agency decided to issue a formal caution rather than taking Mr Collins to court.

On the evidence, either a prosecution or formal caution could be instituted. The Agency chose a formal caution as the appropriate action to take.

Lawyers decided that it would not be in the public interest to take Mr Collins to court because of:

1) his age - 80 in October

2) his poor health

3) his previous good character

4) his co-operation with investigating officers and his full and frank admissions, and

5) his categorical assurance that he does not intend to offend again.

Environment Agency Area Manager Keith Stonell said: "Set-lines are illegal and we deplore their use. We will take appropriate enforcement

action wherever we have evidence of a person using set-lines.

"When deciding what action to take, we have to operate under the Code for Crown Prosecutors. In Mr Collins' case, it was clear that a formal caution was the appropriate action.

"A formal caution is a serious matter. It will be held on the offender's record and it will influence our decision whether to institute proceedings if he offends again. It may also be cited in any subsequent court proceedings."

[ 02. August 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Elton ]

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What constitutes a 'set line' in England? In Scotland a fishing rod in a rod rest is technically a 'set line' and you could be prosecuted for using this combination in fresh water.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Well!! -Thats that then. Anyone wanting to fish set lines now know they can get off with caution.

I believe we will have a spate of set lines, and IF the suspects are taken to court, you can be damn sure the will use Collins case to get a warning!

[ 02. August 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

kleinboet:

Well!! -Thats that then. Anyone wanting to fish set lines now know they can get off with caution.

I believe we will have a spate of set lines, and IF the suspects are taken to court, you can be damn sure the will use Collins case to get a warning!

Providing of course they meet this criteria..

1) his age - 80 in October

2) his poor health

3) his previous good character

4) his co-operation with investigating officers and his full and frank admissions, and

5) his categorical assurance that he does not intend to offend again.

Sure they could get close, but I doubt that they could get as close as the above defined desription..

And I'm also sure that the environment agency would come down quite hard on someone who does not match the above criteria. Well, I hope they do...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

corydoras:

What constitutes a 'set line' in England? In Scotland a fishing rod in a rod rest is technically a 'set line' and you could be prosecuted for using this combination in fresh water.

I have often wondered about this one with regard to bolt rigs etc. But that is a whole new ball game.

It seems that everyone can get away with anything by using the Pinochet defence these days. All I can say when I hit 75 I'm goind to be a right B******.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.