Angler cautioned for illegal fishing methods

Elton

chevin, you say that you would be reluctant to condem him on what has been presented.

so sorry but which part of it are you struggling with

a) the fact that he was caught red handed using illegal methods

B) that the method he was using could catch any predatory fish, including perch, pike and eels as well as zander

c) that he admitted all the above and was not in the least bit sorry

d) that he admitted to killing over 50 zander to specimen size, but wouldnt say how many pike exactly

i am sorry but the guy got exactly what he deserved. there are other allegations that i know of that make this out in a far less "crusading " light than that silly old man made out.

and just one further thing. come the winter take a look at the match results for the old river nene where mr collins set his lines. you will see that it is one of the best river roach waters in the country, with most matchmen getting at least double figures from almost every peg.

it was, is and will forever be a load of cobblers what he was saying, i am just said that there are still a few "less enlightened " (i am being polite, individuals out there whose bigotry blinds the facts.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to agree with Mark here.Chevin I struggle to see how the guys history can alter the fact that he killed fish with an illegal method.As a suposedly experienced and knowledgable angler he would have also known his actions would be condeming other predators to? Was/is Mr Collins anti all predators both indigenous and stocked?He wasnt trying to "highlight" his belief at all as it only came to public attention because he was caught red handed.I agree that the stocking legal or illegal of non indigenous species is a potential problem but feel that now the Zander is with us we must live with it.I really dont like the way a lot of non carp waters have been badly affected by the stocking of carp.I constantly speak up about this at various levels,this makes me quite unpopular here in Kent BUT I dont go around taking the law into my own hands killing them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

corydoras:

Clue me up then please Peter, what is a 'set line' in England? I'm not being funny, I genuinely don't have a clue.
In days gone by this was referred to as a fixed engine or dead line, It is a baited line in the water, attached to a stake or object on or near the bank, left unattended, maybe for a night or even longer. The result should not need to be explained, suffice to say, fish takes bait, fish gets hooked, fish struggles to free itself, fish most likely suffers a lingering death. I said fish but it could be anything that's likely to come into contact with line or hook, birds pets mammals or could even be a child.

I hope this helps.

All this talk about whether it is right or wrong,

IT IS THE LAW! No matter what is said and done we are (I hope!!) law abiding citizens. Is Collins?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

chevin:

If you read my note again, you will see that I suggested none of those things. I simply said that I would be reluctant to condemn him on what had been presented. I have no problem with him being prosecuted any more than he did. However, I felt that some of those unaware of his history were taking a moralistic view of his actions. Peter had something to say and he was limited in his choice of ways in which to say it. Sometimes a radical approach is the only way to ensure that your point is heard. I am not saying that he was right in what he did, I just say that I would like to hear from him as to why he did it. He only broke the law in the way he tried to bring his belief to the attention of others, he was not prosecuted for that belief! Could it be that he is right in what he believes and that by listening to him a problem could be avoided in the future?

Chevin.

I may well be one of those you refer to as having a moralistic view.

You may well know more about the history of Peter Collins than I, and that is why you say that you are reluctant to condemn his actions.

I respect your views, you have every right to those views no matter what I, or anyone else may believe.

You have made those views quite clear and as I have said I respect that.

Here is the "BUT",you expressed those views or opinions on here, an open forum for all and sundry to agree or disagree with, within 24 hrs.

What I fail to understand, remembering that I have not heard of Mr Collins before this episode, is, why was he going about it so covertly for so long, especially, if, as you say he had a point to make?

I would think that anyone with a radical point to make in protest, would like as many people as possible to no what exactly his protest was about, not keep it secret for three and a half years. If he had perhaps made it more widely known how strongly he felt the whole affair may have been avoided, but hind site is a wonderful thing.

Just one more point to make, you say, "He ONLY broke the law in the way he tried to bring his belief to the attention of others,"

Still respecting your views. If I or you or anyone else knowingly breaks a law, do we have a choice as to what degree we break that law?

There I go again, being moralistic.

I think Mr Collins was very, very lucky to get off so lightly.

I think he has been so selfish in being responsible for depriving so many of a great deal of pleasure, and for causing unnecessary suffering and harm to those fish, no excuse, no matter what his point was.

Just tell me one thing guys. Where does it say that Collins has killed ONE fish? All I said was that I would not condemn him on a moral basis on the evidence in the first note posted by Elton. It is possible you guys know more than I do, after all it is hardly news in Australia.

As to why he did it for so long being as he was making a protest; perhaps he was intending to get caught - it just took the authorities a long time to catch him.

All that report says is that he broke the law and certain steps were taken by the authority. I have never defended him on those grounds.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

What Elton didn't mention is that he also claimed that he was doing it to highlight the cormorant problem! Also, how is it easier to retrieve a concealed set line from a remote fen drain than to fish properly at waters with proper disabled facilities? He didn't seem to have any difficulty in dragging his poor, frail body along steep sided fen drains several times a week (or did he just leave the fish there to rot?). His defence was a load of cobblers. He has a warped and malicious hatred of all predators and had no concern whatsoever for any suffering he caused.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.