Angler cautioned for illegal fishing methods

Elton

Mark, in his day Collins was a progressive and articulate angler and journalist. Angling, in his day, was better for his contribution. We can't take that away from him.

Nugg, thanks for answering the question re set lines. To be honest my comment was that of the devils advocate! I had in mind bolt rigs and rod pods, effectively fixed lines attached to a rod ! Interestingly the International Game Fishing Association has disallowed a number of European carp for being caught on fixed lines. Rod in hand, thats the way !!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add Chevin, that Collins was caught with his trousers down so to speak. He was apprehended by a retired police officer who is also a keen pike angler, as was the witness, the photographer who recorded the event. He really didn't have a leg to stand on. He took the law into his own hands and he was caught.

If it really was a protest then, as a retired, and previously well respected journalist, he could have put his protest into print. He always was outspoken, but this was nothing short of a private, and illegal cull.

mark barrett:

chevin you iobviuosly never saw the original story in anglers mail. mr collins admitted to taking over 50 zander and "several" pike.

Obviously there must be more to it all than I was aware. But I will remind you of what I said initially. And that was that I could not condemn the man on what was presented in Elton's posting! If there was more to it, then it is possible that he deserves the criticism he has received.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Nugg:

It is a baited line in the water, attached to a stake or object on or near the bank, left unattended, maybe for a night or even longer.

Thanks for that Nugg. This is similar to the law in Scotland then, the main difference being that technically in Scotland even if the line is attached to a rod and reel, if the rod ain't in your sweaty mitt then it is a set line. At least that's is how the law was when I was a kid (30 odd years ago now :( ) Maybe Andy MacFarlane or one of the other posters from north of the border can confirm if this is still the case.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Chevin - a long thread Here should help get you up to speed on the Collins thing.

Peter Waller posted, "Interestingly the International Game Fishing Association has disallowed a number of European carp for being caught on fixed lines". Peter, the IGFA has disallowed any record size fish that they know to have been taken on a hair rig. Their rules are very clear that the bait must be directly on the hook for a fish to be considered for a catch record.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Do you think that is right and proper Newt? Surely the hair rig is here to stay and can't seriously be discounted. Don't you guys use hair rigs over there?

Doesn't IGFA allow for what is afteral common practice in the countries from where claims are submitted? Can't really be 'international' if it doesn't. I know US overseas policy is not to everyones taste but telling us how we should fish, now that is just not on!

Can't remember where I read about fixed lines, or the rod in hand rule, probably some mag or another.

Hair rigging live baits for game fish has been in existance for longer than hair rigging boillies suppose that doesnt count with the IGFA either then? Mind you I have always reckoned a lot of their records are tits any way,look at the line class records especially.

However I can see that (despite using them myself) that multi rod tactics/buzzers/rod rests used in modern specimen hunting for a lot of species are only one step away from trapping not angling.

Most of my real big carp caught abroad have been caught by rowing out a bair,dropping it overboard with a few freebies in a clear patch in the weed,rowing back to shore,putting the rod in the rest,the buzzer alerting me that my bait has been taken and the fish has hooked and subsequently weeded itself,in the boat row, out to weeded fish, haul in mass weed bed and fish,net the lot and row back ashore.Another great lump landed maybe but it does leave me a bit cold.Not trying to be purist or ultra cult but not really fishing is it? Just a means to an end which I am glad to say both I and many others soon tire of.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Peter - I think the IGFA is dead wrong on this particular issue and several US carpers have written formal protests about the whole issue.

http://www.carpecarpio.com/hairrigs-igfa.html

The rule was evidently written with snagging fish in mind but the way it is worded, there is no way they can allow hair rigs unless they modify their rules.

http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf

quote:

G. HOOKS FOR BAIT FISHING

1. For live or dead bait fishing no more than two single hooks may be used. Both must be firmly imbedded in or securely attached to the bait. The eyes of the hooks must be no less than a hook's length (the length of the largest hook used) apart and no more than 18 inches (45.72 cm) apart. The only exception is that the point of one hook may be passed through the eye of the other hook.

2. The use of a dangling or swinging hook is prohibited. Double or treble hooks are prohibited.

3. A two-hook rig for bottom fishing is acceptable if it consists of two single hooks on separate leaders or drops. Both hooks must be imbedded in the respective baits and separated sufficiently so that a fish caught on one hook cannot be foul-hooked by the other.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President