Angler cautioned for illegal fishing methods

Elton

Oh dear! So I can't claim my 90 pound Northern as a world record! I caught it on a live bait using a snap tackle, a rig consisting of two treble hooks!

And surely all lures have swimging or dangling treble hooks? So why the inconsistency?

I do like the idea that when using a two hook rig that the second hook foul hooking is deemed unacceptable. But such foul hooking happens a great deal with lures, and who is to say which hook has foul hooked?

With just this one rule it is, perhaps, clear why IGFA is not widely accepted in the UK. That and the light line class fishing records that generally we find unacceptable.

Almost like the World Series! Only applies to America!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remain confused, In Scotland a set line is effectively a line not held by hand. A carper sleeping in his bivvy is using set lines. If this was tried for game fish in some areas you would get more than a slap on the wrist !!

The destructive nature of the guys protest is more a problem with me.

Banning hair rig caught fish but allowing set lines a-la pike/carp angler (sleeping in his bivvy) seems pedantic and lacking focus.

Personally I have no problems with rods on a pod as long as the are being watched ie. somebody sitting next to them is witing to react.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Peter - FWIW there are more than a few US anglers who aren't fond of some of the IGFA rules either although the line-class part is pretty well acceptable over here. OTOH, so is fox hunting with horses and dogs.

As to your large lure-caught pike, it would count probably. The rule I posted on the previous page was for Bait. Lures have their own section.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As to the baseball "World Series", I really don't know for sure about the professional series. I know the ones for younger players (still in school) are international. Jan & I enjoy watching them each year. Wouldn't give you a bent 5¢ piece for the professional series though or any other professional baseball for that matter.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Funny old world Newt! Big US plugs, by our standards, are very often considered to be gross, and most caring UK pikers re tool their US made plugs rather more sympathetically.

On the other hand IGFA outlaws our snap tackles! The rig I mentioned for my mythical 90 pounder being a snap tackle, a rig we commonly use for livebaits. Snaps are two treble hook rigs, probably size 6 or 8. Small hooks compared with US plug hooks. And we certainly wouldn't put hooks on the leader/trace for fear of a bite off!

I like the idea of an International body for anglers. But I think that until there are applicable international laws then the laws of individual countries have to be respected by IGFA.

As usual I have logged on a bit late, when the original topic has sidetracked to all sorts of interesting stuff. But if I may be allowed to return to the original topic - ie Peter Collins...

1. I thought the EA took exactly the right action, in as much as nobody can complain at their stance on this... except for blood-thirsty zander anglers.

2. Peter Collins did one hell of a lot for angling in his day, including fighting harder than anyone to show how boat traffic was destroying the Norfolk Broads. That was in the early 1970s, when his family just happened to be one of the major boat builders on the Norfolk Broads. (And that, I suggest, is a very much braver thing to do than trying to lynch an old man over the internet).

3. During his reign as editor of Sea Angler he again fought long and hard to prevent commercial fishing and Euro nonsense wrecking sport for anglers around our coasts.

4. I'm privileged to have know him as a younger man, in his prime, when he had no axe to grind against pike (although he certainly hated zander from the very start - something I often argued vehemently about with him).

5. He was returning big pike to the Broads in the 1950s and 60s when the majority of anglers were killing them. He regularly fished with such greats as Denis Pye and Ken Latham, I understand (a bit before my time).

6. He was a great angler as well as angling journalist in his day. One of the very best, in fact.

7. He is nearly 80, disabled and in recent years became a widower. May I humbly suggest that just maybe he isn't thinking quite as clearly as he did in his prime?

Seriously, the baying hordes out there out for his blood sicken me. Grow up, get off the internet and go out and do a quarter the good for angling that Peter Collins did in his prime.

Then I might take you seriuously without getting embarrassed by some of the postings I've read.

Fenboy

Fenboy, I'm not a blood thirtsy zander angler, but in retrospect I go along with Nuggs thinking. It's many a long year since I have spoken to Peter Collins so no, I don't know, nor can even guess at his state of mind as it is today. I notice he is still able to drive a car, hopefully with all his relevant faculties in good working order. On that criterior alone he certainly isn't gaga.

I'm not so sure that the uproar is about what Collins did, more a case of what the EA hasn't and apparently isn't doing. As far as the EA and Peter is concerned, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The piking/zandering public have been waiting for the EA to act on illegal Fens setliners for years, and nothing has happened. Now, given the opportunity, and all things considered I agree that it is a shame that it was poor old Collins who was the one to stumble into the trap, they had a golden opportunity to say, irrespective of all other factors, we will not tollerate such behaviour. They have the teeth, they don't want to bite. What if it hadn't been Peter Collins?

I agree whole heartedly with everything that you have said about Peter Collins as a person. He was more than good to me as a kiddy angler. But that is not the issue.

One of his family kept a small motor launch in a dyke that our families shared, a dyke that was stuffed with perch, Peter always showed genuine interest in my fishing when he was down that way. Nice bloke.

I'm sorry that it was Peter Collins, as a person, who became involved, but surely he knew the risks? The EA had the chance to show that they are right tough *astards, and that is what many of us had hoped for. In the end I do believe that they took the easy way out.

[ 06. August 2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

fenboy i may or may not be the blood thirsty zan der angler/s that you are talking about, but as i have just awoken as the sun starts to sink i shall reply!!

in hindsight i think that this is the most that was ever likely to happen, whether or not i think its enough is neither here nor there really. however i do hate people making excuses for this old fool. yes i am sure that in the past mr collins did a lot for angling, and i am sure that we alll thank him for it, but we are dealing with the present. the facts are:

that mr collins was wageing a one man erradication policy on the zander in his area

that mr collins only went public with this campaign after he was caught. now any poacher could say i dont agree with a species being there after they are caught, particularly if, as in this case it gets him a lighter punishment.

if he was really waging a campaign against the zander, then why not tell the press first? answer. because its a complete load of bowlocks.

anglers were up in arms as the EA firstly refused to deal with the matter, despite having all the evidence presented to them by an ex cambs CID officer. and then dragging their heels in sorting out the case. the EA in this region has a terrible reputation which they seem to try their best to keep going. they are completely and utterly useless in this area.

mr collins didnt fall into any trap, his offence was self made. nobody set him up, he was caught doing something red handed that he admitted to doing. to talkof walking into a trap demeans this subject somewhat.

finally i am sure that mr collins is indeed registered disabled, however the fact was that he was traversing the steep banks to get to his set lines and walking a good way in the first place. he is also quite capable enough to be able to drive, and to arrange a suitable, commercial disposing of the zander afterward. to say that he is not thinking straight is again a very feeble excuse.

at the end of the day the main end result of this is that one set liner has been stopped and dealt with properly. my worry is that if the wrong people were to catch someone doing the same, they may be inclined to deal out their own form of justice as this case has shown the EA to be soft. personally i think that what has occurred is enough now, but i know many others do not.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

A trap of his own making Mark. I'm sorry that you felt my comment was misplaced. An unfortunate turn of phrase perhaps.

Mark, I think that your concern that there are those who will now take the law into their own hands is now a very real one. Have to admit to keeping some right rough company, two old fellas, off the dust up in London but now retired, fish up your way. They feel that they have given the EA a chance to prove itself and its failed. These guys know 'ow to run their manor, yer-know-wot-I-mean!

[ 06. August 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

i hope they dont pete as although i share their feeling i have just been asked to be the focal point for these reports in our area and thats not what i want to have to put right!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Being a focal point is one thing Mark, getting a rapid EA response is another. Good luck! Yes, I have been on the same tired route. The EA have been all enthusiastic, have responded with teams, long after the event. We gave up in the end. In this case it related to fyke nets being set to catch pike. In the end we dealt with the matter ourselves. We haven't been bothered since!