HAPPY HEDGEHOG FILMS, Fighting Ferox

Guest franticfisherman2

Hello Gerbil0154

Whats your line on ferox fishing lure or bait.Me personaly i fish bait but have been hearing of a few fish this year off Lochy to lures.spoke to a troller on Lochy this season and he tells me fish to 13lb most seasons on lures and a good no of fish around the 8 to 10lb on lures as well.Me personaly i only fish a lure on the poker rod when conditions are favourable but have not had any success.Any info would be appreciated.

cheers kevin.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ferox Fisher

Sorry I did not respond quicker but have had 3 days off to paint the back of my house and havent been near a computer.

Your question is a good one as it has been the subject of a lot of heated discussion around our evening camp fire. We fish mainly dead baits and use our spare rod to fish lures. (3 in the boat with 4 rods).

Derek fishes on a downrigger and swears that the bigger the bait the bigger the catch. He may have a point in that he did two doubles last year, one of which was a fraction under 20lb. (I'll post a link later with some of our pictures.) Derek is also convinced, on the basis of his experience and on Ron Greer's book, that char make the best dead bait. Considering that the char are as elusive as the Ferox, this argument will rage on for some time.

David and I both fish with planes which can be pre-set to run at a specific depth. We both fish smaller baits and both take our share of Ferox. David had a 14lb as his best last year and I missed a double by a fraction.

Talking to some of our angling friends, we already know of two 15lb+ fish taken on the Lochy this year on Rapalas so I guess the argument will continue.

My own personal observation is that you can catch fish using almost any method as long as you persevere and have faith in it.

On thing about lures which we all agree on is that you will pick up more smaller fish on lures than you will on deadbaits, but ferox fishing is about the big ones aint it??

Cheers Gerry

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk