char baits

ferox fisher

Charr are only a "rarity" down south. Up here they are in pretty well most lochs. Some lochs hoach with them. They are not in short supply and certainly NOT in "only a few waters".Maybe you're mistaking them for powan/schelly? They are rare and only in a few waters.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kreid my friend you are spot on but there is one place in Scotland where they are rare------------------------------------------------------------------MY FREEZER. :confused:

---------------------

Did you know that fish did not smell till women started swimming in the sea

ferox fisher:

Kreid my friend you are spot on but there is one place in Scotland where they are rare------------------------------------------------------------------MY FREEZER. :confused:

---------------------

Did you know that fish did not smell till women started swimming in the sea

"Da di da di da, it isn't happening..."

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/0...reut/index.html

(Except in our freezers.)

Retiring to higher ground,

PB

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

kreid:

Charr are only a "rarity" down south. Up here they are in pretty well most lochs. Some lochs hoach with them. They are not in short supply and certainly NOT in "only a few waters".Maybe you're mistaking them for powan/schelly? They are rare and only in a few waters.

As a southern softie I always believed they were rare. Indeed Matt Hayes said of them in the great Rod Race, “Char only exist in glacial lakes and are becoming rare”. I am glad to hear this is not the case, wouldn’t mind having a go for them sometime. Are there any reports of the number of char in the UK from the Environment agency?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I have sent away for some information on Char populations in Scottish lochs and will post the replies here when i receive them.

--------------

Did you know that fish did not smell till women started swimming in the sea.

Guest PhilB

Just thought you would like to see a picture of an Ullswater skelly (schelly). It is prolific in Ullswater - it is the environment that is rare, not the fish. I found this one floating dead in the lake while we were trout fishing a few years ago. They are rarely caught by anglers as they are plankton feeders. Note the adipose fin.

Posted Image

franticfisherman2:

Just thought you would like to see a picture of an Ullswater skelly (schelly). It is prolific in Ullswater - it is the environment that is rare, not the fish.

All the more reason to protect the enviorments that these fish live in methinks.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

I know its a bit late for this season but theres a area at the top of loch voil thats always moving with charr early season.One trip is normally enough to get a good freezer full.But it has to be early on.Was up a few weeks ago and only managed 2.

CHEERS FERGIE

fergie:

I know its a bit late for this season but theres a area at the top of loch voil thats always moving with charr early season.One trip is normally enough to get a good freezer full.But it has to be early on.Was up a few weeks ago and only managed 2.

CHEERS FERGIE

Just keep trashing those easy early-season char, ya hear, ferg'?

And returning those oh-so superior Ferox lurvingly...

[ 09. June 2005, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Think the area at the top of loch voil that you are talking about fergie is loch doine Watch what you are doing as i was told that someone had bought the place and the area is apparently not fisherman friendly supposedly no fishing on it at all now.Take care .

Kevin.

Did you know that fish did not smell till women started swimming in the sea.