char baits

ferox fisher

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhilB

I think I should put this debate into perspective with a few facts:

1. The Windermere char population has sustained a commercial and semi-commercial fishery for 150 years.

2. The char population of Coniston Water is estimated to be approx. 250,000 individual fish.

3. Take a fishfinder onto any large deep lake in Scotland (eg. Loch Ness) and you will see literally hundreds of them.

4. Char are not rare, they are only thought to be rare by people who rarely hear about them and who know little about them.

5. Here's one I ate earlier.....yummy!

Posted Image

Tried to avoid rising to the wittering going on with regards to Char. (I seem to have started it by telling how Derek filled our freezer for the season)

Thanks to FranticFisherman2 for putting it into perspective. My frustation always lay in the fact that we could see carpets of char on the sonar but only seemed to catch occasionally and they were usually too big for bait. They were always returned.

We operate catch and return on Ferox. This years 20lb fish might be my record attempt a few years down the line. If people on this site hold such strong anti angling views I wish they would not try to impose their limits on others.

I dont catch for the pot. I dont live bait. I dont introduce alien species into other waters. I also dont seek to impose my views on my fellow anglers.

I wish all readers of the forums tight lines no matter you own personal preferences.

Gerry

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

Gerbil0154:

We operate catch and return on Ferox. This years 20lb fish might be my record attempt a few years down the line. If people on this site hold such strong anti angling views I wish they would not try to impose their limits on others.

I dont catch for the pot. I dont live bait. I dont introduce alien species into other waters. I also dont seek to impose my views on my fellow anglers.

Anti-angling views?

Ah -- most definitely not.

I have been a full-on fisher for 48 years (ask around after me, you guys -- you'll hear some: some good, some bad, but not even the badmouthers will be able to say that I haven't done it -- done it a lot and done it first in a lot of cases), and want it - Angling - to continue in Britain for at least another thousand.

We merely need, however, in our right-on C&R-ness now (I have long been an advocate of C&R and have taken terrible flak at the smart end of the gamefishing world for that advocacy), not to forget that some pretty worthwhile fishy 'stuff' does not get returned -- merely to feed our fishy habit.

I have fished fish deadbaits (and livebaits until a decade ago) for pike, perch, chub, barbel, Thames Trout, huge Andean lake rainbows and browns, mahseer, tigerfish, Goliath tigerfish, freshwater dorado - the list continues... But I make sure now that the baits I use come from easily replenishable species. I cut up rough about char earlier in this thread, and char in particular, because they are not around in vast numbers (except in a very few waters), and with climate change ever kicking in now (all our £5 airflights and male-pride-and-joy, Mr Toad cars...), they are set to decline even more.

The padded unhooking mats, the gag bans, the debarbed and barbless hooks etc are all laudible and fine, but NEVER forget just what got you your soon-to-be-lovingly-returned, much-photographed trophy to the bank or the boat in the first place.

[ 26. April 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Paul Boote ]

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Hi Kevin, I've had a few Char from Loch Earn.,Actually didnt go after them in particular, as I was bait fishing for Trout, kept one, and they are lovely eating :rolleyes: . Also had one or two from Loch Tay as well, but as I said, I wasnt targetting them, again I was bait fishing for Brown Trout/Rainbow. Hope this helps .... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hiya, Will be waiting with "Baited" breathe mate. Our local club is off to the Quoich in June, for our annual weekend away....canny wait.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hello i know i shouldnt take the bait again but this i have to ask.Is the Paul Bootle doing all the preaching the same one as the one in the 1991 hit casting for gold.The one with the wee guy with the natty tight shorts being eyed up from behind by John Bailey,You know the one where john is standing behind you with your wee tight shorts and cooing ooooh Paul ooooh Paul because if it is i will never be able to reply to any more of your tosh without smiling and chuckling like a Blackpool donkey.By the way how many rupees did you have to chuck at the wee indians to jump in to a swollen river to tether your fish where i come from we net our own.Goes to show what money can do for you though.Nope i have finaly worked it out after all of the rape and pillaging of fish that you have done all over this beautifull world of ours you are now looking for forgiveness and to do this you are going to blame me aye thats right it was him it wisnae me he killed the char.

P.S do you still have those natty litte shorts with the stain on the back.

P.P.S please do not reply for at least a week as im off to the Lochy with a bagfull of bait.If i dont catch one Paul you wouldnt know of anywhere i may be able to buy a 20lb Ferox do you.

------------------------------------

Did you know that fish didnt smell till women started swimming in the sea.