Fishing the buzzer

Dan G

I've never really fished a buzzer before - I usually feel there isn't enough too them and stick on my trusty GRHE! I want to fish the technique tomorrow, and wondered what everyone recommended. Someone said to me that you don't retrieve - just let the line drift, keeping 'in touch'. Is this correct?

How long should the leader be, and should it be greased or 'mudded'? Surely the buzzer will just keep on sinking if I don't retrieve, or will the surface tension keep it up in the water?

Help appreciated!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

On my recent trip to Farmoor reservoir I copied the local tactics which is a team of three buzzers (or possibly a gold head GRHE on the tip)cast out on a floating line, let the leader(usual length) sink and you need a sight bob on the leader where it joins the fly line, these look like minature pike bungs and most tackle shops sell them. Now you just let the buzzers drift with the wind with no retrieve (the fly line does not sink) keep your eyen on your mini pike bung and soon as it disappears you strike. This method definitely works....but is perilously close to coarse fishing :)

Thanks Gobio... however, I refuse to go for a float - I knew the method existed - other than a bit of sheeps wool when grayling fishing, as you don't catch a great deal without it! That said, I'm just a bit concerned that by fishing a 10ft+ leader, my buzzers will end up on the bottom and the fish on the top!!!

Dan,

Buzzers rise from the lake bottom to the surface to hatch, it is a slow journey and trout eat them all the way throughout this journey. The only time we see this however is when they eat the ones just below the surface. If you fish a team of three flies you are covering all depths. Three buzzers will not pull a floating fly line under the surface so a 10 foot leader is probably miles off the bottom on a deep reservoir anyway, which introduces the other successful reservoir method - the booby! I can't blame you for not wanting to use a float, my buzzer method is floating line, let it drift a bit in the breeze (hopefully) and then a very, very slow figure of eight retrieve. I also hold the fly line between the tips of my thumb and index finger on my right hand and can feel the slightest of tugs.

Thanks for the info!! Much appreciated... The lake i'm on is approx 10 ft deep at max (6 acres), and I went down last night and the fish were definitely feeding in top two feet. Lots of surface swirls, not splashes. There were quite a few buzzers in the edge, and thought this was what they were feeding on. I'm keen, therefore, to keep the buzzers in top two feet. I have another slight issue in that teams are banned, and so it's going to be a single fly.

Think I may grease top 8 ft and let the rest sink, keeping the fly in top two?? What do you think?

Dan,

My problem with fishing a single buzzer is making the thing sink even two feet! So you probably won't need grease. One buzzer on a floating line with a slow retrieve will never be far from the surface. If you lose confidence in your fly then try stripping a Sweeney Todd through any fish rising to buzzers - works a treat :) Sweeney Todd

If the fish are feeding on the surface you could try Gobio's set-up but with a floating fly on the point: this will keep all the flies just under the surface as they'll be held at one end by the "float" and at the other by the floating line. It's known as the washing line technique.

The floating fly is useful as a bite indicator as well.

Tight lines.

If the fish are showing on the top, grease right up to 6" from the buzzer so it fishes in / under the surface film.

Try a mega slow fig 8 retreive at first letting the fly drift with the wind, if no wind try the odd 'tweek' to get interest.

If they still play hard to get let it sink a bit more and do a semi 'strip' to make it rise up.

Many takes come after you have done this on the drop.

I only use a 'bob' (little bit of etherfoam pinched on end of line) if fishing buzzers well below the surface where they do increase your hit rate.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I fish single buzzers a lot. If the buzzers are very "skinny" which I prefer they dont sink much anyway so I just keep in touch with a very slow fig 8

I often fish heavier buzzers with a sink and draw motion, let it sink then rapid 3ft strip to make it rise, let it sink again. Often taken on the drop after the stip. Very productive method.

Cheers

dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/