Fishing the buzzer

Dan G

It's worth noting that with a relatively short leader and a cross breeze your flies will fish higher in the water as they're being towed by the fly line moving in the breeze. Arthur Cove recommended a 20+ foot leader with 3 flies at varying 6 foot intervals for fishing Grafham - bit of a PITA to cast unless you're good at it ;-)

If you're dead against any sort of sight indicator, including a dry fly on the top dropper, or if you're only allowed one fly on your cast - de-grease the leader up to your required depth and then grease the rest of it up to and including the top of the fly line. The greased section should stop the fly from sinking the whole leader and makes a nice little dimple in the surface film that you can watch for takes - not as easy as it sounds if there's a bit of a ripple though.

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buzzers! I have been known to tie and fish the odd hundred. My approach is to tie with different materials, if you want to get a buzzer down use a heavy wire hook, and super glue the dressing, higher in the water a thin wire hook ,possably with super glue and up near the surface a seals fur dressing or a small snatcher. The use of sight indicators is optional , try one of the nymph tip lines that have different colour tips, on sale from tight lines for 4.99 at the moment also doing mini tips for 4.99 telephone 0870 8000123 they are the air flow versions so you have to stretch them but for the price!!!!

Mmm... how interesting to note the comments on Airflo lines, as I was just eying up the £4.99 offers at Glasgow Angling and Tightlines, and thinking of going for it.

My instincts tell me if they are selling them off at this price (usually circa £30) there's summat up with 'em.

Originally posted by Gobio;

'What's wrong with Airflo?'

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Guest PhilB

Air flos are OK if you like to pull your flies. If you fish dries or static nymphs in calm conditions I would give them a miss whatever the price. I have never had a floater made by them which will lie straight on the water. After a minute or two they end up in a series of curves and it is impossible to strike into a fish. No amount of stretching will fix them! Personally, I would never buy another floater made by them. I have no experience of the sinkers tho'.

Ironically, I use an Airflo Delta Spey floater for salmon fishing and it casts like nothing else, but I've never had an Airflo trout line that didn't coil up like a spring. Horrible things, although I hear that the fast sinking lines are very popular with the resevoir guys. The sort of waters I fish I seldom use anything but a floater. Maybe your line will be OK Gobio :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/