Buying from the big old U.S.A.

ferox fisher

Howdy pardners. :D

Know you have heard it all before but just looking for advice.Emailed company in America regarding downriggers,price was good ,postage was good but when it came to duty i was told that i could ask for gift or self to be ticked on package to avoid duty being paid.Have bought from states before and it has been a lottery whether i was charged duty or not but on downriggers it is the difference of a bargain or not. :confused: If anyone has had experience of this it would be kinda good.Was told to contact post office regarding this but i am afraid that the buggers steal them when they come in.

-------------------------

Did you know that fish did not smell till women started swimming in the sea.

Hi Ferox,

This is the Customs and Declaration form they use to ship overseas. I'm sure royal mail has the ability to ask everyone getting a package if it was really intended to be a gift? A gift to yourself? The only one who can answer that is you. I don't think many companies ask if it was a gift and most people don't know to request it. This was an order that I placed. I did not request it as a gift. (Note: they ticked 'other' and typed merchandise.)

usps3.jpg

Trying to figure out how to use this scanner.. Seems to work ok as long as you fiddle with the resize.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Thanks Jeff

I think i will take a chance and ask them to tick the gift box.The saving on the downriggers are worth it.Will let you know how i get on.

Cheers

Kevin

-------------------

• 10 months later...

Hi Mate i have just bought 2 riggers from the states and got them very cheap but one went through customs ok and the other i was charged duty on it (£30) so to be honest bud it is a hit or miss and really it was still way cheaper than over here?????? Got an address if you want

Ian

Howdy pardners. :D

Know you have heard it all before but just looking for advice.Emailed company in America regarding downriggers,price was good ,postage was good but when it came to duty i was told that i could ask for gift or self to be ticked on package to avoid duty being paid.Have bought from states before and it has been a lottery whether i was charged duty or not but on downriggers it is the difference of a bargain or not. :confused: If anyone has had experience of this it would be kinda good.Was told to contact post office regarding this but i am afraid that the buggers steal them when they come in.

-------------------------

Guest franticfisherman2

Ahoy Kev, glad to see you're posting again, did you catch anything at the weekend? I'll bet it was cccccold up there! :cold::D

HM Customs will take no notice of the word 'gift'. Largely because a gift still attracts Duty and VAT at the full rate, should its value be above the allowable maximum. Also because they are fully aware of just about every tax and VAT avoidance dodge in the book. You have to take a philosophical approach to buying from the USA. Cost everything with the full Tax and VAT (about 22.5%) and treat every parcel that arrives without Tax/VAT being charged as a bonus. That way you never get disappointed and you occasionally get a little treat. Remember also that goods sent seamail or via the United States Postal Service are more likely to slip through. Commercial carriers like FEDEX and UPS ALWAYS collect Tax and VAT along with an unfair handling charge. Its part of their business strategy.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'