Bye bye Scottish West Highland sea-trout

Sandison

Jaffa,

You claim that the Salmon Farm Monitor says, “..eating farmed salmon will kill poison you..”

And you are wise not to disclose your name and address.

If you did, the SFPG would sue your cowardly balls off for slander.

Still lookin', my friend...

Bruce Sandison

Hysbackie

Tongue

by Lairg

Sutherland IV27 4XJ

Tel: 01847 611274

Fax: 01847 611 262

Mobile: 07974 863 814

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you think of my courage is up to you. Legal action from your company for my expressing an opinion in angling forums? My wife would kill me.

I have enjoyed a lot of good debates on these forums in over a 1000 posts. A few niggles and arguments along the way, with people that are happy to name themselves like Leon, and others that are not, like @summer@ aka @spring@ aka @winter@. Either way we usually work things out and get along, caring not a jot who the person is. I've had a pop at Leon now and again, who gives as good as he takes, and I've learnt a thing or two from him.

I withdraw the kill poison comments.

I will delete all posts and will be leaving these forums lest i am tempted to express an opinion on something controversial again.

I hope people do read you site and others and make up their own minds on the issues.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Chris dont give up the forum it takes both sides to put forward their views for the rest of us to learn. Bruce Ive followed your writings for many years and in fact they have inspired many trips to the remoter parts of Scotland, I am at a loss to understand your attitude to open debate, I dont support the siting of salmon farms off the Scottish coast , but I,m afraid threatening a fellow poster with legal action has, unfortunatly diminished, my respect that I had for you, and your writings. :(

Jaffa

I for one would miss your input on a wide range of angling issues, especially for the sake of someone who only posts on here when he has got something to promote.

I dont remember any interest being shown in any other subject!

I also have to say that in all of the forums that I have read, watched or taken part in I have seen some heated debate amd even argument (even been involved in some myself)but I have NEVER heard of anyone threatening a fellow poster with legal action, so well done Bruce, another first!

This is an open forum where individuals can voice their opinion, ill advised or otherwise and I enjoy reading what Jaffa has to say, so ignore him and his threats Jaffa and just "talk" to the rest of us

Regards

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Would be a pity Jaffa if you departed because some newbie has lost all sense of proportion.

'Do salmon farms attract sharks?'

No but they seem to attract more than their fair share of desperately stupid people.

[ 31. May 2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Guest jay_con

Jaffa - Even though I disagree strongly with just about every word you ever spoke I have always valued your right to respond. I will miss you. You have as much right as anyone to express your opinions and beliefs here so I hope you reconsider. Perhaps we (myself included) should in future just point people in the direction of articles and let them make thier own mind up. Like I have mine. I just love fresh salmon.

Like this one : http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/21/salmon_cancer.htm

Guest jay_con
Sandison:

Jaffa

You claim that the Salmon Farm Monitor says, “..eating farmed salmon will kill poison you..”

Would you please be so kind as to identify exactly where on the site this statement appears?

You claim that we say, “..the farms are causing toxic algae blooms.” Not true, we say that they exacerbate algal blooms.

Your say, “and in this month, in a classic tabloid style scare story we even get: Do fish farms attract sharks?”

Clearly you have read the item from which you quote. Why, therefore did you decide to quote so selectively from it and exclude the other paragraphs detailed below?

Bruce

Selective quoting????? sounds like something a journalist would do to me.... :o:o:o

Guest Flybynight

Sorry - but I'm absolutely with Bruce. The Salmon Farms are an absolute nightmare. If the Salmon Farm Monitor were publishing untruths, you can bet your last penny that the big salmon farming companies would be suing Bruce regularly. They aren't and don't because it is pretty clearly true.

Jaffa: I got here too late to read your posts before you deleted them, and I'm sorry, because I would really like to have seen your side of the story.

However, Bruce has every right to protect himself from slander in any forum. The fact that this is an internet forum does NOT make slander less offensive, and as Bruce is the foremost proponent of a serious political issue in the UK, he has both a right and a duty to stop people from making up rubbish about him and posting it publicly. If he allows slander to go past without challenging it then it will be assumed that he cannot defend himself from it. (As appears to be the case for the companies involved: they mostly don't respond to the accusations against them in my experience). But legitimate, issue based discussion does not come close to libel or slander. Misquoting from Bruce's web site is pretty poor work, and shows that Jaffa, you started from a prejudiced position, clearly out to make your point whatever it cost. Could it be possible that Bruce is right after all? Consider it for a moment...

So now lets think about the issue: on the one hand you have big (filthy) business, in bed with the politicians, getting large subsisidies (historically) and absurdly small penalties (always) for massive pollution while exaggerating their impact on the Higlands economy and producing a seriously horrible product (and I don't mean taste).

Bruce on the other hand exposes their appalling practices via a voluntary (?) organisation with the motive of protecting our wild environment. He uses the most rigourous science available to him and quotes his sources. He is always up for being challenged.

I struggle to see how any reasonable person can attack his overall position, even if you find some details to be inaccurate (which I never have). I am glad you are there doing the work you do Bruce. Keep it up.

FBN

Guest Flybynight

Dave,

I am really interested in the pike issue - not because I have a strong, personal view (though I am a wild-trout fisherman and therefore interested). Is there another thread where this is discussed? I'd be keen particlarly in finding out more from those who know, what happened to Loch Garry for eg...

Cheers

FBN