Bye bye Scottish West Highland sea-trout

Sandison

Colin, your right, we should be capable of a reasoned debate.

The original article which so offended me, and should by the way offend most anglers, was a scurrilous piece of rubbish which suggests to the public that Pike were intoduced RECENTLY to Scottish Lochs by nefarious anglers and as a result all Scottish wildlife and the Scottish rural way of life as we know it is under threat from the freshwater equivalent of the great white shark, or underwater mink.

If this were true it would reflect very badly on coarse anglers in Scotland.

Coarse Anglers in Scotland already have enough of a burden to contend with. Did you know for instance it is technically illegal for me to place my rod in a rod rest, even for a moment, let alone use multiple rods and bite alarms.

I was verbally attacked just 2 weeks ago by a passing game angler for using bite alarms as they are not "proper" fishing. Trying to explain to him that they were actually to benefit the Pike was a waste of time. This was a man who wanted ALL pike removed.

Progress in understanding is being made, but articles like this do not help the situation.

As for the pike being stocked by "disgruntled" anglers, the bodies of water referred to are massive and I do not know how many fish would have to be stocked to ensure a sustainable population. Given that I often catch a dozen a session, I will assume that there is a high density of population (Maybe I'm just a superb Pike angler!) Doesn't sound practical in the short term.

The fact that the old fishing writers didn't mention them means nothing, they didn't fish for them, most would have been horrified at the idea!

As for Ghillies being the fount of all knowledge fishy, I have many friends who are ghillies and they know lots about Salmon, and bugger all about Pike.

If I could remember how to upload pictures I would put one up of me holding a 29lber that came from a Loch that the ghillie told me didn't contain any.

Sorry about the length of this thread, I promise to look at a Google add to pay for it

Regards

Dave Olley

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportsman:

Did you know for instance it is technically illegal for me to place my rod in a rod rest, even for a moment, let alone use multiple rods and bite alarms.

Quite right too. In Scotland this is classed as a 'set line' and it is against the law. I suppose you think that Scots Law should be changed just because it has become fashionable of late to angle for the inedible?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Wherever pike come from, once there it's nigh on impossible to be rid of them.

In fact the more you take out, the more young (and the younger they are the more voracious they are) pike you end up with.

They've tried everything at Lake Davis, poison, and even explosives, but the pike just keep coming

See:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=IS...nG=Search&meta=

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

jim doyle:

Pike inedible? why dear old Mrs Beaton has several recipies!!!

I know. I have eaten them once or twice in France. Not as good as haddock (or Perch)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I know. I have eaten them once or twice in France. Not as good as haddock (or Perch)"

But better than farmed salmon

:):)

and yes, I do think Scots law should be changed

[ 10. June 2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Sportsman ]

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Flybynight

Hi Sportsman,

I have had discussions with a Ghillie who stated categorically that he knows anglers who have placed pike into Loch Garry specifically - and admitted it freely. I take Jim's point that he was catching them well before this was supposed to have happened (Jim - 70's; alleged stocking - late 80's?) and therefore, even if they did, the pike were already there. This story is now 4th hand to you which should also caution a health warning.

But with folks going around stating things like that it isn't surprising if the story gets believed. Something did happen to the trout population in that loch - but I have also heard that this could have been sheep dip poisoning. I have no idea, nor any realistic way of knowing.

But - there are folks out there who claim they have stocked pike into the Garry at least. And in the right environment, a prodigious breeder like the pike could increase it's population dramatically over a very short period.

I don't think that there are any serious accusations that all, or even a majority of pike anglers would do this. It is clearly a pretty bad form of environmental valdalism to introduce a new top predator to a food chain. Look what has happened to Lake Victoria for maybe the best described example. We all know that - and the very large majority would therefore not contemplate doing this.

But it would only need a couple of such folks (illicit pike stockers) for some pretty stunning impacts to be seen I suspect. So even the threat of it is going to get environmentalists and other anglers pretty excited. I for one, am happy to have the 'noise' if it discourages the activity.

Cheers

FBN

PS Have you seen what a 'set rod' with a worm does to a trout's throat/gut? Every one of these is a 'keeper'...

PPS I've caught and eaten pike...loads of bones, but from the right water they taste fantastic.

Sportsman,

Don't worry about the length of the thread, I am finding it useful. I am always amazed at how some people are so good at picking up on points raised and pulling those points apart. I'm afraid I am pretty useless when it comes to debating but I do enjoy watching it going on.

Colin