Bye bye Scottish West Highland sea-trout

Sandison

FBN

I stumbled across this article by accident when doing a search for Pike fishing

I fish for wild trout as well as Pike and have no particular axe to grind but I do get irritated by nonsensical articles referring to Great white sharks and underwater mink.

When someone of the stature of Bruce Sandison makes statements like:

"I have no knowledge of any indigenous species of pike in our northern lochs, but they have definitely spread. There are now pike to be found in Loch Garry, Loch Loyne and waters in Wester Ross - all placed there by anglers."

with no science or proof to back it up, it doesn't help matters.

With regard to fish farms I have no great love for them or the foul output they produce, but as I stated before I have no great knowledge on the subject. I had hoped to learn more as we had two apparently well informed protaganists.

This has effectively stopped with the threats from Mr Sandison which I felt were unwarranted and unnecessary.

"Still lookin', my friend..."

I find this statement rather threatening and given the rather extreme views of some of Mr Sandisons supporters I feel requires an explanation.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flybynight

Chris - unbelievably well done mate. Total respect for a great post. Thank you. Hope I'd have the balls to do the same in a similar position.

And Sportsman: I think I side with Bruce easily because he is one bloke against an industry. If he got a bit 'fresh' there...well, his position is not an enviable one. And I am veryu grateful to the guy for getting out there and doing what he does...

FBN

(PS Still would be keen to read what you had to say, Jaffa! But another time and place perhaps).

I agree Chris no more than I have come to expect from you welldone :):) However I am still a bit dissapointed at someone of Bruce,s standing reacting in such a manner. I give him total respect for his stand on behalf of the sea trout and his books on scottish fishing, but his reaction on the site has left somewhat of a sour taste!! sorry Bruce I maybe expect to much from one of my heros.!!

Guest jay_con

Well done Jaffa, your a better man than I am. I Think My reply would have ended in off. Hope to disagree with you soon in the sea fishing forum .

Hi All.

Already been said, and I agree that different people have different views.

People are passionate about what they belive in or work towards, in what ever context.

This being a Internet forum means some issues will be mistakenly understood and debated/argued over.

In this sort of situation, it would be nice to think we are all big enough to recognise our misconceptions when and if we go a little off track.

On the other hand, its nice to bury any ill feelings and carry on in a good spirit.

Lifes far too short to fall out.

Jaffa utmost respect for you, nice post.

Never known you to be anything but helpfull.

Yakity-Yak-uk. :)